My plan to turn base rock into live rock and cycle my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been searching the internet for information about turning base rock to live rock w/o live rock and haven't had much luck on how to do it.I want to take it slow so I don't get anxious and add fish before the tank is cycled.My plan was to put two 750-850 Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps and two Ehelm Jager 50 watt heaters in a 30 gallon tank with base rock and Indo Pacific sand. Then I would add Purple Up or Purple tech, as directed, in order to convert base rock into live rock. Is that all I need to do?Is there a better method?I know that adding live rock would be faster but i don't plan on adding fish for several months.
I found Walt Smith's Fiji Gold Coral and Live Rock Supplement.Is this basically the same thing as the Purple up or Purple tech or is it an added supplement in addition to the Purple Up or Purple Tech(I want color in my tank and i want it to be mostly purple.)? I am hoping to have live rock and a cycled tank come February-March(tax season).Following my plan,with any necessary adjustments,is this possible?I have gone on Youtube and read articles online that say you can cycle a tank with live rock only,is this true?
Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks!:fish1:

To make dead rock live, you need only to add an ammonia source. The ammonia will start the cycling process. At the end of the cycling process, you'll have your live rock. The difference between live and dead rock is bacteria. Algae has nothing to do with it.
Purple up and purple tech is a waste of time and money. Without the algae present to begin with, you'll never grow it. You need to get some coralline algae from someone's tank and sprinkle it in your tank. It will soon populate your rock, glass, and everything else.

When you cycle the tank, the dead rock becomes live naturally.... no need to add any chemicals. The meaning of "live" rock is that is has the beneficial bacteria for the nitrification process. If you purchase mostly dead (dry) rock, and put a piece or two of live rock in with it, it will help the process along, but isn't absolutely necessary.....

To make dead rock live, you need only to add an ammonia source. The ammonia will start the cycling process. At the end of the cycling process, you'll have your live rock. The difference between live and dead rock is bacteria. Algae has nothing to do with it.
Purple up and purple tech is a waste of time and money. Without the algae present to begin with, you'll never grow it. You need to get some coralline algae from someone's tank and sprinkle it in your tank. It will soon populate your rock, glass, and everything else.
Is the Walt Smith's Fiji Gold Coral and Live Rock Supplement also unnecessary?Would any bacteria grow if I just turned the pumps and heaters on w/o light or do I need to introduce bacteria in order to get things started?

You don't need to introduce bacteria, it's already there..... you just need to provide a nutrient source for the bacteria to multiply to an amount that can handle the bioload of an aquarium environment. Most people use a raw shrimp from the seafood counter of your local grocer...... put it in a mesh bag, drop it in your tank (with the light OFF/pumps on), and let it go to work. As the shrimp rots, it will provide an ammonia source for the bacteria to build on.

Read this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-your-salt-tank/?/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom