Need tank switching advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erok7620

Aquarium Advice Activist
First of all hello! This is my first post even though ive been hanging out here for months. i started my first tank (28g SW) about 4 months ago and since then I got so addicted I now have an empty 90g in my living room. I was hoping to gain some insight on changing over the tanks. I would like to use my current LS and LR in addition to new. Will I be OK putting my Fish (1clown, 2 Chromis, 1 Damsel) and inverts (emerald, SS star, Anenome, flame scallop, hermits and snails) in containers while I do the switch? What precautions should I take. Any advise would be helpful. Im still very new at this.
Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome !
First off why not leave them in thier tank whilst you wait for your new one to cycle?
Other wise you could use a bin to hold them .... Be sure to keep them in filtered water with new carbon if you move them it prevents them from gill burn from amonia .... Take some sand from your current tank and use it to seed your tank .... cycle it as you would a new tank ....then add your fish to your new tank once cycled and test indicate ....
Also with an anenome and flame scallop they need very stable established tanks that have been up more than 4 months and good lighting ....scallops have poor surviaval rates in the home aquarium...Just remember to take it slow you will need to cycle out your new tank the cycle should be shorter if you use cured rock but there will be some die off that will cause a cycle ... it may be a bit shorter tho around 2-4 weeks for it if you use cured .Then you could move your fish and LR over with out issue .

I was thinking I wouldnt need much of a new cycle using my current sand, water, and rock. And yeah, I've had the scallop about three weeks and it hasent been opening up much lately, I think Im about to lose it. Sure wish the LFS would have discouraged me. The anenome is looking very good though, nice and full. I use a 4 bulb T5 light which I think is sufficient.

I would not re use the sand IMO. Just but some dry sand and seed it with a cup or two from your old sand. Too much of a chance of ammonia from all the nasties that are in that sand. LR and most of the water will be OK. As Sadie said you`ll need some more cured LR for the bigger tank or cure it yourself. I`m a little concerned for the anenome because they need a mature and established tank which I`m sure your smaller one is but the bigger one will not be with the smaller amount of LR. But we can always wish for the best. Have plenty of fresh SW just in case.

How much lr and sand do you have now? What other types of filtration, if any do you use on your current tank?
If you move everything, including as much of your water as possible and what ever filters you are using now, to the 90 you shouldn't have a cycle. if you add more lr, make sure it is cured. You can add dry sand withouit any problem. Basically you are just adding alot more water volume. Everything should be fine in buckets or something as long as the water doesn't get cold while you make the move.
Flame scallop won't live very long, as mentioned. What kind of anemone and what type of lighting do you plan for the 90?

I have 30lbs LS and about 15lb LR. going to be picking up some more for the 90. I have an emporer hang on filter and a seaclone skimmer. As for lighting for the new tank I think im going to go with t5s again, they seem to work well for the money. I cant really afford halides right now with all the sand and rock I am soon to be buying.

Anyone know where the best deals are on sand and LR?

I just broke down my 175 to move evrything into a nice new 92 corner tank, so I have a ton of live rock and live sand left over. I am keeping the 175 going while I get rid or everything, so it is not just sitting around. I am going to try and sell it so if you want to buy some send me a note. I will even throw in some shrooms (blue, green and red) since I have tons of those floating around loose as well. The tank was up for 4 years and was very nice and clean, so no nasty stuff to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom