New 110 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jschier

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm moving up from 3 nano's to a 110 gal. So I have some questions....

- do you use egg crate on the bottom under the live sand? If yes, why?
- are 2x korilias 1050's sufficient?
- in sump skimmer recommendations?

Here is my stocking list;

Lawnmower Blenny
Flame Angelfish
One Spot Foxface
Cleaner wrasse
Blue reef chromis x3

OC clowns x2
Striped damsel
Royal gramma
Hippo tang

Just starting to research compatibility for the above, it will be a reef tank. Questions and comments are welcome.

I used egg crate on the bottom of one of my tanks, its so the rock doesnt sit directly on the glass and risk breakage. i havent had any issues with that in the tanks that dont have egg crate so not sure how important it is. You want the rock in first anyways and the sand should go around it so it helps anchor the rocks.

I would go with two 1400 koralias at least, especially if you are wanting to go reef.

Look into reef octopus brand skimmers, they have a great reputation and afor the most part are affordable. I run an octopus, eshopps and remora on some of my tanks and really like them. :)

As far as stock, the only issue I would have would be with the blue tang. They really really need a longer tank, they are big swimmers not to mention they can get quite large. The angel may, or may not munch on your corals, its kinda hit or miss. And the cleaner wrasse, from what I have researched is quite difficult to keep, even the lfs's will admit this and most of my stores dont even sell them for that reason. But you may have better luck than the average person. :)

I have egg crate in my reef tank. Absolutely think it is necessary in a reef tank. Not so much for risking breaking the bottom glass, but from preventing the aqua scape from shifting and collapsing onto one of the burrowing fish/inverts that are so popular to keep.

The question then comes up if this gets in the way of the fish. I have 60 lbs of sand in my 55. By far, not a deep sand bed. This has caused no issues for my engineer goby digging out and having a home under one of the main supporting rocks of my aquascape. Probably want more substrate for a jawfish, but you get the idea.

I know the tang debate continues......I'm still not 100% on the hippo, a Kole is probably a better choice. I'm hoping to find a tank raised tang but I will have to continue to research......

So the plumbing is done, the lights are ordered (Evergrow IT 2080) and I'm starting to add water. Have to choose substrate and need more live rock. I will finish my sump and then sadly down the road add a skimmer that will fit. The bioload will be minute for quite awhile so that will allow me some time. Now, can I put in one of my son's Play Mobil scuba divers?

No those wont be enough. You need 40x turn over for a reef tank.

I have 4x Hydor 4's with a wave maker......that should do it.

Back
Top Bottom