New BioCube! How do we transfer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
We just got a new 14 gallon biocube and are wondering how we transfer from our 10 gallon tank to it. Please help. We dont want to do anything wrong....
We have new sand for it
2 clownfish
3 lbs of live rock
about 6 lbs of base rock.
How do we get our fishies to their new home?

First you will need to cycle your new aquarium. Seed it will some sand (or I think live rock will work too). Since you will be seeding this tank, cycling will go much quicker! :) Good luck!

How long do we need to let it cycle before adding our fish?
Oh, and the sand is live sand... will that help too?

sstanle4 said:
How long do we need to let it cycle before adding our fish?
Oh, and the sand is live sand... will that help too?

Yes, live sand will help! :) As far as when you are done cycling, you will need to use a test kit to test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. eco23 has a really good article on cycling if you want ti read it. :)

Is it the fishless cycling article?
And do we fill our new tank with the old water?

sstanle4 said:
Is it the fishless cycling article?
And do we fill our new tank with the old water?

Yep, it is the fishless cycle article, and I would probably fill it with the old water, not sure on that though.

That article is for freshwater, I believe. Does that matter?
What do we do with our fish until it cycles? haha

Are you sure? I though it was very both, but I could be wrong. I would Leave your fish in your 10g, until this one is cycled. :)

why would you need to cycle it :s
just clean the sand and transfer the rock and the fish over, the life will spread around the new system in no time

Ok we have got it all worked all but now our temp is at 79 and we can not get it down what do we do?

Making the assumption the Biocube is the compact flourescent version (?), they tend to run warm. when the lights are on. Several of us have the same problem :) but a few ideas.

1. Buy some of those refreezable gel ice packs..like you would use in a cooler for camping. I put one of these is a ziplock bag and then suspend it in the waterflow..it'll take te temp down a couple of degrees before it compeltely defreezes. I use this as an emergency measure..normally during hotter weather.

2. I elevated the main canopy with a dowel cut to the width of the tank. I used netting material, like from a pool hand skimmer, and attached it to the canopy (top and bottom) in order to keep my Firefish where he belongs. With this, I aimed a small desk fan at the top of the tank to help blow out the warmer air..this kept and keeps my temps at about 75...also add in the general cooling feature of a ceiling fan.

3. Purchase stronger fans and replace the ones in the canopy. I can't say what the standard size was as I upgraded my lighting and new fans came with the kit but mine uses a standard 50mm fan. You'd have to check your fan size to verify but they are easy enough to get to once you unscrew the plastic light guard. Fans in general are very easy to replace.

ok for the fans what size do you think would be the best?

Again, you are limited on size. The 50mm should fit. Look for size over brand..they pretty much run the same.

Back
Top Bottom