New member of the glass drilling club!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatersmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was so happy that I had to share. I just finished drilling my 15 gal fuge for another drain. A guy at the LFS drilled one already but I wanted a back-up. So I tried it myself. I used a Craftsman diamond point bit (P/N 953137) chucked in my drill. Took about 40 minutes.
Glad that's over! :D

Stephen

I started out with a dremel knock-off that was cordless. The battery didn't last long so I finished it with a hand drill. If you have access to a dremel that plugs in to an outlet I would recommend this. Another tip I did to help was put several layers of packaging tape across the inside of the glass. This should give it a little strength. I also clamped a water hose near the hole to flow a little water across where you drill.

I may be tempted to try it on some 10 gallons eventually. I built my aquarium stand to accommodate a couple 10 gallons above the main tank, but haven't plummed anything together yet.

I wouldn't have tried it on say my 90 gal but I did on my 15 gal fuge. Worst case scenario may cost you $10 but don't be frightened. It's not that bad.

I'll have to decide when I go saltwater if I dare drill the 75. If I could convince my husband, I wouldn't mind keeping the 75 freshwater and buying a reef ready 75 for salt. I think though that economics of space will force me to either drill or risk an overflow box.

I purchased a reef ready 90 gal to replace my undrilled 90. I wasn't brave enought to drill it.

Probably a smart move. Did you check to see how much a glass company would charge you to drill it?

Well it sounds like you did a good job on your own. I would still be scared to do a big tank though.

If it's a choice of drilling the old big tank or buying a new one, might as well take the risk. You're taking a risk anyway if you go for an overflow box instead of a drilled drain.

Back
Top Bottom