New tank cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gelica084

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I just want to make a little thread for my new tank. I appreciate any feedback anyone can give me!?
So I'm cycling my 40 gallon tank that I picked up 2 days ago. I've been reading a lot about cycling tanks but now I'm just becoming more and more confused. So my question is... Are my perimeters suppose to spike and then go back down once the cycle is done??
Here's my reading..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411974446.360423.jpg
There's also LR and LS in the tank.

Are these perimeters looking ok so far?...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello. I just want to make a little thread for my new tank. I appreciate any feedback anyone can give me!?
So I'm cycling my 40 gallon tank that I picked up 2 days ago. I've been reading a lot about cycling tanks but now I'm just becoming more and more confused. So my question is... Are my perimeters suppose to spike and then go back down once the cycle is done??
Here's my reading..
View attachment 251283
There's also LR and LS in the tank.

Are these perimeters looking ok so far?...

Yes they will spike a get to normal after the cycling process is complete. Are you using RO/DI water?

Yes we are. :)

Looks like your still high on the ammonia and nitrate ph is a bit on the low side you want to try to maintain your ph at 8.0 to 8.3 with as little fluctuation between as possible after the cycle. But looks like a normal cycle process.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another question... My tank is done cycling so I did a 10 gal WC on my 40 gal tank. I can't seem to get my nitrates to go down. Before my WC it was at 40ppm, I tested it this morning after the WC and it's still 40ppm! Did I not do a big enough WC? I have a Fluval 306 filter canister and one 800gph powerhead. We had a protein skimmer but we took it down because we didn't like it and will be buying a different one soon.
Tomorrow we'll try and 50% WC and see if that helps.. If not I don't know what else to do...
I had a 13 gal tank that also had high nitrates. We upgraded because we thought getting a bigger tank would be easier to maintain but these **** nitrates will not go down. I'm starting to get discouraged and thinking I'll never have a tank with low nitrates! ?

50% should get you down to ~20ppm. The nitrates shouldn't be rising if nothing's in the tank though, unless ammonia and nitrite are still being converted

I'll do a 50% WC tomorrow and see what happens. I have like 6 hermit crabs and some soft corals but that's it...

So on Sunday I went out and bought 2 o.c. Clownfish. They haven't been eating (mysis shrimp) and just seemed to stay on one side of the tank. Figured they just needed a few days to adjust. But then tonight I saw 3 of my hermit crabs chowin' down on one of the clowns! The fish didn't appear to be sick, I just figured their behavior was due to a new environment. PH 8.2 / ammonia 0 / nitrite 0 / nitrates 20. Which I just did a 15 gal WC on it today and added some De-nitrates pads to the canister filter also.
Anyways.. After my fish died I was thinking maybe I have to get another one so she won't be lonely. But when I checked on her righ now she seemed as happy as can be. Swimming around the whole tank, which i haven't seen her do before, and even seemed to come up to the tank to say hi to me when I went to the tank lol.
So I'm thinking maybe I won't need to bring in another fish?? Will she be fine by herself?

I would wait until the nitrates are as close to zero as possible before adding anything else

Yeah, clowns are fine by themselves. Chances are they were working out the dominance thing in the tank which is why they werent super active.

Back
Top Bottom