New tank not cycling properly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean57

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cannot get my ammonia to spike over .50 ppm. I did the raw shrimp thing, and it's been a little over two weeks now. The shrimp is disappearing but I've never seen a high spike of ammonia.
I did all dry rock, and I did add some seed, it's a line of Sea Chem product that's supposed to help with starting bacteria. I'm running my lights, my sump pump, and to Hydor circulation pumps. I'm at 65 gallons total capacity, 48 to 50 main tank, about 15 in the sump. I'm running a reef octopus 110 space saver skimmer, in an E shops r-100 sump tank. I put in approximately 70 pounds dry rock, 45 pounds of crushed coral, 50 pounds reef sand. Running a aqua life four bulb with night LED.fluorescent white / blue light.

Here are some pictures, any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475531336.937890.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475531357.905069.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475531384.473000.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475531447.629731.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475531482.347532.jpg

Any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dry rock can sometimes take awhile. Also perhaps your protein skimmer might be removing particulate before it has a chance to breakdown. Perhaps turn it off till tank has started cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Turn off the skimmer. There is no need to run it while you are cycling.
In terms of the reading from the ammonia, don't be overly concerned about it. The shrimp is providing a slow and continual ammonia source as it decomps. What you are really waiting for is to see no ammonia and no nitrite reading as the nitrates rise. That is the sign that you are done cycling and can remove the decomposing shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom