New to saltwater - 29gal tank lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i-see-you

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29gal tank and have just put in two of my first coral. The tank is fairly well inhabited with a few fish, some hermits maybe a snail or two plus some feather dusters. The tank is setup with a refugium and a skimmer as well.

My question is, will the marine orbits USA light be enough to sustain the tank? The two corals I got are a star polyp(I think) and a toadstool leather. See attached pictures.

Also, how long does it usually take for corals to adjust to their new homes? I assume it can take days. I've been seeing a lot of opening and closing for both since they were brought home, yesterday. The polyp stays somewhat open whereas the toadstool will come out then go back in come night. The toadstool really came out when I shut off the return pump for feeding.

Tank specs:
2 425gph hydor powerheads
Over flow filter
About 20lbs of live rock in display tank
About 40lbs of live sand in display tank
Refugium has chaeto and some other grape looking algae
Tunze 9001 skimmer(breaking in)
Live rock ruble in refugium
4" of sand in refugium(10lbs roughly)
Return pump is a 240gph pump
Lighting is the Current orbits USA LED fixture

Salinity sits about 1.023
Ph is 8.3
Amonia is 0
Nitrate is about 5ppm
Nitrite is 0
Phosphate is around .25ppm

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1462844494595.jpg
    1462844494595.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 1462844505809.jpg
    1462844505809.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 1462844511990.jpg
    1462844511990.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 1462844518970.jpg
    1462844518970.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 109
Can you tell us what unit that is? They make several units. They are mostly pretty weak if I'm remembering correctly, though yet to have the first cup of coffee so might be wrong.
As for adjusting, it doesn't have to take very long for coral to adjust at all. I've had them open up and be fine after acclimation.
Your polyps are clove polyps by the way.

Thanks for the reply.
I found out they are indeed cloves in the ID section, thanks!

The LED I have is the 24"-36" model view below link:

Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater LED | Current-USA

23 Watts 48 Dual Daylight/48 Dual Actinic LEDs, 96 LEDs Total

Can you tell us what unit that is? They make several units. They are mostly pretty weak if I'm remembering correctly, though yet to have the first cup of coffee so might be wrong.
As for adjusting, it doesn't have to take very long for coral to adjust at all. I've had them open up and be fine after acclimation.
Your polyps are clove polyps by the way.

This is my first coral tank and plan on sticking with softies until I really understand how these guys work.

However, my tank is only 18" high. With that in mind do you think the light can penetrate deep enough? IF(and thats a big if) I go with any harder corals I will probably just get a second light of the same. Would that be beneficial?

I do plan on having an anemone and I know they need lots of light.

Though not a fan of their products as they depict being able to keep more light demanding coral, it should be fine for softies.

At that point it's just be replacing with a different unit. People love the taotronics units where I prefer my radions. All matter of price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are your thoughts on the Galaxy hydro 165w?
Some guys at reefcentral were saying this would be better suited then the marine orbits and is within my price range.

Ironically that looks like the taotronics clones. It is exactly what I'm talking about and would be great as it would support anything photosynthetic ally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

that's basically the same thing as toa tronics . but make sure you get a dimmable unit.
I would suggest holding off on the nem give your tank some time to mature.

Definitely holding off on the nem for a little while. Probs waiting a year..
The light, already ordered and will be returning my orbits light.
Next, figuring out how to mount the light because I don't want to do a ceiling mount.. Plus I did get the dimmable one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts on the Galaxy hydro 165w?
Some guys at reefcentral were saying this would be better suited then the marine orbits and is within my price range.

that is the same unit I have had for about a year now.
No complaints whatsoever (y)

works great, full spectrum, dual channels, dimmable, runs very cool.
If I had one "complaint" though trivial, the optics are a little narrow and I do get a slight "spotlight" effect from the red and green LEDs, but I also acknowledge part of that is because my lights are only 10" above the water, a few inches higher and I suspect the spotlight would disappear.
my tank is 20" deep, so it will definitely work for you.
I run it at about 60% white, 100% blue.
I lose a bit of intensity on the sides, mines a 50 gallon, but in your 29 it should be just the right coverage.
overall a good light, I think you would be satisfied with it.
It will easily grow any type of coral you wish to keep.:fish1:

Back
Top Bottom