Newbie Hobbyist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just getting started. Have a 75 gal tank with an Eheim 2215 filter, ebo jag 250 watt heater. 40lbs of Aragonite for substrate. Got the water and salt in the tank last night. Been checking the Specific Gravity and Salinity, still pretty hight but thats to be expected. I ordered 45lb of Fiji LR from liveaquaria.com. I have been reading a lot about liverocks.com and how much life comes on the rock. Maybe I am being too paranoid about a lot of stuff, but Mantis Shrimp are worrying me. The rock will come in on Thursday. Do I need to worry too much about Mantis or Pistol shrimp? Just wanting to get all my ducks in a row before I get all this in place.

TIA

Wes

I am a little confused by your statement that the salinity is high and to be expected...why is that? Your salt levels should not be too high. that is easily
adjusted.

Yes, mantis shrimp are a common occurance on the liverock.com rock. Just do a thorough examination and dip on each piece before putting it in the tank and that will help chase out the negative creatures.

I meant that because I just put the salt and water in the tank last night around 10:30, I am just starting with the process. I haven't done any type of water change yet. Do I need to change out any of the water to see if that helps regulate the levels

From liveaquaria.com I do not think you will need to be worried about mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp (altough pitsols do not pose much of a threat). Your comment about salinity is confusing. SG is what you make it. The more salt you add, the higher the SG. Remember on thing...When doing water changes use prepared SW. When doing top-offs, use regular water. Water evaporates, salt does not. If you add SW for your topp-offs you will cause your SG to rise and "burn" your fish.

I bought 2 containers of Oceanic Sea Salt. One for 50 gal and the other for 25 gal. I mixed both up and used them in my tank. I have taken salinity readings several times now. The latest one says I am at 35 ppt. I am using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer to take the readings. I apoligize if I have said something confusing or unfounded. Let's chalk it up to being a newb.

Do I need to change out any of the water to see if that helps regulate the levels
You will not want to do any water changes until your tank is cycled. Then do a big water change before you add any fish. I apologize regarding the liverock question, for some reason, i read that to be liverock.com and not liveaquaria. Lando is right about not being concerned with theirs. There is much more life on the liverock.com rock because it does not go through the extreme shipping processes that the rocks from places live liveaquaria etc go through, as they farm their own and most places do not.

Don't worry about it. We are all here to help. Keep asking questions! Lando

AirRazr said:
It's about 2" in the tank. I was told that was a good base. Do I need more than 2"??
Nope.. 1 to 2 inches is good.

Most people will probably still advise a DSB, but they are quickly becomming a thing of the past, here in UK especially.

Back
Top Bottom