Newbie with live sand and live rock questions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFLGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend who is giving me their 150 gallon setup and I will be picking it up this weekend.

I have basic knowledge since I have had many fresh water tanks in the past and also a smaller salt water aquarium, although I never used live rock or sand.

I’d like to put live sand and live rock in their but the costs just seem very high.

- :?: Is it possible to use a cheaper base rock and put some live rock on top of this? Will the life that is on the live rock spread to the base rock?

- :?: Can I mix live sand with the regular sand that is already dried out? If so, what is the general rule of thumb?

TIA everyone!

The short answer is yes...and yes.

You can use "reef bones" for the base of the structure and then seed it with LR. Reef Bones is actually a brand, but it is basically dry LR. There is nothing living at all on it. Then seed it with how ever much LR you can afford and let it do its thing. The more LR you have, the shorter the "seeding" period will be.

LS. I would toss a small piece of LR in with some Argonite sand, (it can be cured in a rubber maid tub) and let it cycle. Thats all you really need to do to cure the sand. Heat the water and keep it moving with a power head and you should be fine.

Important! Make sure its argonite. If your unsure, pour vinager on a small amount of it...it should fizz.

Squishy

Thanks!

Where can I get "reef bones" from? Also, do I just stack the live rock on top of the base rock or place it next to the base rock? Does it matter?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some cheap base rock in the tampa bay area?

Thanks again!

Any porus rock (lava rock etc..) should be suitable for seeding. The more LR you get the quicker the seeding will take place.

The way you set it up is up to you. The life forms will find their ways to the new rocks. Just try and make sure the LR is not burried in the sand.

That would depend on the type of live rock, cured versus uncured, whether the tank is currently cycling etc...

But the bacteria should move to the new rocks within 2-3 weeks if properly fed.

Keep in mind that if you do use lava rock, which I think is a bad idea, that you will not have the same look to the rock. LR has a very distinct look because it used to be a living organism. The difference will be very obvious.

Use rock that is approximately the same color. At least that way, if it takes a while to color over it wont be glaringly obvious. Limestone is one that I have used before. Reef bones can be ordered off the net for about 1.50 per pound. That is the route I would go personally.

Squishy

Thanks!

Reefbones sound like a good idea to start out with and don't sound too expensive. Know of any good sites I can check out?

Better yet, any good local spots?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom