Newbie, with random Aquarium equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

md93r1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 46G bowfront tempered glass aquarium off craigslist, it also included the following: a Penguin 350 Biowheel Filter and a Eheim 1250 pump.

I wanted to start a FOWLR tank. I have no clue what the purpose of the pump is, or what it was connected to. Should I still purchase a HOB skimmer as well? I unfortunately will not be able to set up a sump system.

Any recommendations for a simple setup that minimizes cost/complexity? I dont intend on heavily stocking the tank and wanted to keep it simple.

For a FOWLER setup, do I need live rock and live sand? or is it just live rock? Are there setups with just live sand? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Thanks for the link! I will take a look and see what I can find.

Hello! That pump was probably used as a return pump, so without a sump you will not be using it. Live rock is a must, but you could put dry rocks in there and after the cycle it will be "live". Sand is not a must, and there are lot's of people that go bare bottom, but I like sand and it looks much more natural. You would be fine with 1 40 lb bag of sand. for FOWLR I don't think you need a skimmer, you could do a 5 to 10 gallon water change every couple weeks and be fine. You could use the biowheel filter but I would only put the carbon cartridge in one side and be prepared to clean it from time to time. You will also need a heater, thermometer, powerheads (10-20 x tank volume), hydrometer or refractometer. Have fun!

Thank you for the detailed response! You mentioned that I should only use the carbon cartridge on one side of the bio wheel filter, just wondering why?

I can't remember what the other cartridge is but I'm pretty sure it is for freshwater application. Your primary filter will be the bacteria and microorganisms in the rock and sand so the only real purpose I can see in using the filter is for some surface agitation and water movement. You could also put LR rubble in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom