Nitrate Reductor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have comments about adding a nitrate reductor to a 90 gallon set up?

They work if you keep them up. There are two kinds you can look into. Deep sand and coil. I would personally do a fuge though. There is also a company that makes them if you do not want a DIY. If you can not find what you are looking for post back and someone will be glad to help. BTW :band: Wecome to AA :invasion:

....or the old forbidden product: AZ NO3. I am guilty. i tried everything and my nitrates stayed at 20 at one point...nothing lower than that.

Then, I treated with AZ NO3 and now I've been zero nitrates for 4 months now. healthy corals. Healthy fish. Dark skimming. And I don't have a sump, wet/dry, nor a fuge.

But you might want that to be the last resort. If you can afford fuge, then maybe you should go that route.

Good luck.

First off welcome to AA :D

90gallon said:
can you list a site where I can read up on AZ NO3?
This article has the most detail.

Possible reactions to using AZ-NO3 are that it could create bacterial blooms and could have an adverse affect on corals and invertebrates. It could even kill fish if the oxygen level gets low enough. The same effect can be accomplished by simply adding sugar or ethanol directly to your tank (which is not recommended.) This creates an uncontrolled reaction that can be very dangerous.

Need more info on your tank:
What is your current no3 level? What stock (fish/inverts/coral) do you have in your 90 gal and what size are your fish currently? Do you have lr and if so how many lbs? What other kind of filtration do you have ie: wet/dry, HOB, or fuge? How often/what do you feed your tank? How often do you perform PWC and what %?

I have 2 small clown fish, 1 porcipine puffer, 3 shrimp and 4 hermit crabs and 4 snails. There is about 40 lbs lr and the filtration system consists of a wet/dry. The clown fish are fed a small amount of flakes twice a day and the puffer is fed 1 shrimp in the morning and 2 in the evening. The PWC are performed about every 2 weeks and about 30% is emptied out. Currently the NO3 level is about 20. Any suggestions to get the NO3 level down?

20 ppm is ok for a FO/FOWLR tank but I wouldn’t go any higher then that.

How large is your puffer now, I’m guessing 8+” with the amount of shrimp you are feeding. Do you know how old it is? That seems like a ton of food daily to be feeding it if it’s smaller then 8” Most puffers do fine with 2-3 times a week feedings. They are always begging for food but are easily overfed. Personally depending on the size of the puffer I think you are overfeeding at this point which leads to excess waste and eventually excess no3 which you will always battle even doing 30% PWC every other week.

Your bio-load depending on the size of the puffer is pretty small for a 90 gal. Do you feed your clowns anything else besides flake? How long as the tank been set up? Do you use a skimmer in the sump?

Do you have filter floss on the pre-filter or before the bio-balls and clean them weekly? Waste builds up on filter media and if not cleaned regularly will lead to excess no3.

Increasing your lr to 140+ lbs and getting rid of the bio-balls over time would help greatly in keeping your no3 down. I’d also increase your hermits/snails to about 20 total of each. I’d feed your clowns more then just flake. See this post on feeding requirements of SW fish.

Back
Top Bottom