Nitrate spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Degonese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey. I have a 75 gallon fishtank, it's been about a month and a half since I started my cycle and I had my amonia spike, but ever since then I've had this insanely high niitrate level. Completly off the chart and for the the last three and a half weeks.
I did clean the algea off the glass two weeks ago. There's only a little bit of green algea left that I couldn't scub off with my magnet cleaner.
Is this normal? Did mess up the cycle and prolong the spike because I cleaned the glass? How long can I anticipate the nitrate spike?
The nitrite is starting ting go up it's about .05 right now. Also the amonia hasn't completly filtered out yet. It's about a .10.

Just for review, the nitrate *should* show up after the nitrites spike. Assuming your tank water was nitrate-free to start with, you'll need the ammonia to turn to nitrites, and then the nitrites turn to nitrates before you really see any measurable nitrates.

Are you using tap water? Have you tested the source water you're using for nitrates? If you started with nitrates, you'll always have those nitrates until you do a water change.

In short... there really isn't a nitrate "spike". Whatever nitrates you end up with after your ammonia and nitrites have gone to zero will be what you have until you do a water change. Water changes are normally how nitrates are reduced.

Oh... and cleaning the glass didn't mess anything up. You're fine there.

Nitrates are the end result of your cycle. That`s normal. How you get rid of them is the solution. PWC`s are the best way to eliminate excessive nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom