Not my day today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got my MH today, and guess what... it doesn't work! I found one that has good reviews that is cheap that I am wanting to try. it's called Odyssea 48" 500w LED Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting Reef Living Lamp
it's around 200, it fits my budget and it looks really nice, I have a 75g saltwater tank, 20g sump/fuge, and 75lbs of live rock and sand.

To be honest Odyseaa makes an Ok product. but just ok. Nothing special. I have a t5 fixture from them and I personally love it. It was cheap for a temporary fix. Not sure I'd go MH with the quality of the products being what they are.

Odyssea has a history of their MH units catching on fire. They've improved their product line since then I believe, but it's still something to consider as you do your research.

When I did my lighting on my 72, I found some used MH icecap ballasts and ran 2x175MH for about $200 and had plenty of light for SPS.

it depends on the fixture, lamps, ballasts, and reflectors of both t-5 and metal halide fixtures regarding PAR output, but you can keep anything you want under either type of lighting provided you do your research and purchase the correct setup for your needs.
i was under the impression odyssea products were not UL listed. i also heard of them starting fires on occasion.

the more affordable brands that come to mind are current, sunlight supply, coralife. i have even heard wavepoint, and aquatic life weren't bad.
as you spend a few dollars more you go towards hamilton, aquamedic, giesemann, aquactinics, ATI, and the list goes on.

i've seen some ATI T5s and they are retarded expensive if i remember right a6 lamp 24" was $600 with bulbs

so which would be better? t-5 or MH? and if I did t-5 how many bulbs would I need to do all coral?

What ever you buy make sure it has a warranty! Odyssey doesn't. I just picked up a Hamilton dual 175 MH with dual 55 watt CF for $50.00. When I tested it, it would start up for about 2 minutes then shut down. I found the lamps where pulse start and the ballast was probe start. So after buying new lamps it works fine. Now I'm stuck with 2 175 watt Hamilton 10k lamps slightly used.
I also have a 72" 150 watt x 3 HQI fixture that smoked after 5 months that I'm uneasy to use after the cheep fans died and took out one of three ballast.
"I found one that has good reviews that is cheap that I am wanting to try." I wonder who gave the good reviews?

so which would be better? t-5 or MH? and if I did t-5 how many bulbs would I need to do all coral?
that's up to you and your needs/wants. like i said, both will work, but each has it's pluses and minuses.
for a 75 gallon tank i would want 2 x 250 watt halides or 8 x 54 watts of t-5. you might get by with less, but that's ideal IME.

What ever you buy make sure it has a warranty! Odyssey doesn't. I just picked up a Hamilton dual 175 MH with dual 55 watt CF for $50.00. When I tested it, it would start up for about 2 minutes then shut down. I found the lamps where pulse start and the ballast was probe start. So after buying new lamps it works fine. Now I'm stuck with 2 175 watt Hamilton 10k lamps slightly used.
I also have a 72" 150 watt x 3 HQI fixture that smoked after 5 months that I'm uneasy to use after the cheep fans died and took out one of three ballast.
"I found one that has good reviews that is cheap that I am wanting to try." I wonder who gave the good reviews?

you can always replace the fans but have you opened the fixture up to see what was smoking?

thank you so much guys. if I were to ask this question at my lfs they would talk down to me for asking what they would call a "stupid question" and just make me feel dumb. apparently your suppose to know this stuff by birth. lol

Codyheitmiller said:
thank you so much guys. if I were to ask this question at my lfs they would talk down to me for asking what they would call a "stupid question" and just make me feel dumb. apparently your suppose to know this stuff by birth. lol

Lol

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium

that's up to you and your needs/wants. like i said, both will work, but each has it's pluses and minuses.
for a 75 gallon tank i would want 2 x 250 watt halides or 8 x 54 watts of t-5. you might get by with less, but that's ideal IME.
do you know any websites that sells them for a cheap price?
:puppydogeyes:

there really are no dumb questions, and thats what we are all here for, to learn. everyone here has their own level of knowledge but at the end of it even the most knowledgables learn new things.

if your LFS does do that then maybe look for a new store to go to.

Back
Top Bottom