Order of Operations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainAsh87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm building my first SW tank - 60 gal reef - with the help of a friend. She used to have a 125 gal reef tank, so she's fairly knowledgeable, but she's never fishless cycled a tank before.

I want to fishless cycle, but I'm not sure what order things need to go in after that. Should I cycle the tank and add live rock when the cycle is done? Cycle the tank with the live rock in it, doing regular PWCs, so the live rock can help get the bacteria built up? I know that the cycle needs to be done before adding fish & soft corals, but I'm not sure where live rock fits into the process. @.@

Live rock is the main source for your bacteria to grow on. You basically cycle the tank with the rock in it. No wcs until the end of the cycle as you want the bacteria to be constantly building up in the rocks pores and surfaces.

Stellar! That is what I needed to know. Thanks muchly! :D

How important is curing live rock when you're first starting up a cycle? I mean, it's not like I have an ecosystem to disrupt at this point. >>

Back
Top Bottom