Overheating Biocube 14g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaleiblalock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
img_3372918_0_ebd38d9bb210d98275c4c26da6118609.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Hi all,

Thank you for the help in advance!

I have had my Biocube 14g for over a year. Up until this point its only ever been a couple live rock and several fish (3 clowns and a damsel that Im getting rid of). I now want to start investing in some coral. The problem I have right now is that my tank during the day, with the lights on stays at about 86 degrees and 78 without. Has anyone else had this problem with the overheating and have you found a solution that worked? I dont want to start getting coral with the temps that high.
Also, what would you recommend as being a good first coral?

The picture attached is how the live rock is set up and the only fish I currently have are 3 clowns.

Thank you for the help!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't keep saltwater but wondered if you thought the problem was from the heater or the tank is just getting to hot or lights?

When it comes to these cubes, all the heat from the lights is trapped inside of the system. With that said, since you are interested in corals you will have to address this issue anyway. The stock lights won't keep what you want. There are several guides out on the internet that assist with modifying the stock lid to fit in lights that will support photosynthetic corals. By doing this you should also be addressing your heat issue as these guilds will be having you install LED lighting most likely.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
You could try placing a small fan across the surface of the water which will help keep temperatures down,
As for beginner corals you could try leather or soft and see how you get on also there are a number of different coloured polyps you could buy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 28 gallon nano cube with the same problem it would get as hot as 85 during the day and heat up the whole room and I don't even use a heater. I ended up removing the hood all together even though the hood itself has 4 fans. I bought some fluval LEDS and I mounted them from the ceiling looks great produce very little heat and my corals look better than ever. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471835711.868333.jpg
This is my current set up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 28 gallon nano cube with the same problem it would get as hot as 85 during the day and heat up the whole room and I don't even use a heater. I ended up removing the hood all together even though the hood itself has 4 fans. I bought some fluval LEDS and I mounted them from the ceiling looks great produce very little heat and my corals look better than ever. View attachment 288844
This is my current set up

Thank you Alex. Are you a fan of the look without the lid? I have been going back and forth on whether or not I want to remove the lid. I am just not sure how I like the look with the black edge around the tank. I wish there was something I could put over it to make it a little more "sleek" I guess you could say.

When it comes to these cubes, all the heat from the lights is trapped inside of the system. With that said, since you are interested in corals you will have to address this issue anyway. The stock lights won't keep what you want. There are several guides out on the internet that assist with modifying the stock lid to fit in lights that will support photosynthetic corals. By doing this you should also be addressing your heat issue as these guilds will be having you install LED lighting most likely.
Thank you for the advice SniperHank. Quick question, I was recently at one of the local aquarium stores and they had my exact tank filled with coral. I asked about the lighting situation and how it is working out for them with the stock lighting. They said it works great and suggested I get a new white compact (as mine is probably ready for the trash) and another blue LED. As far as the heat goes, they have the fan on most of the day and it seems to be fine for them.
Does this sound like something you would suggest as well or would you say to get rid of the stock lighting and go with more LEDs?
Thank you again, and sorry about the delayed response!

Thank you Alex. Are you a fan of the look without the lid? I have been going back and forth on whether or not I want to remove the lid. I am just not sure how I like the look with the black edge around the tank. I wish there was something I could put over it to make it a little more "sleek" I guess you could say.

I like how it looks without the lid I've actually added a couple mangroves and once they start to grow leaves it'll look a lot nicer and more natural, They're great for filtration as well but I'm not relying on them for that it's more for that natural look and once the leaves start to grow in a couple weeks it'll really bring the tank together :)

The lid just traps heat inside and without well ventilation it'll just keep causing temperature spikes leading to other problems in the tank

Here's how it looks with the mangroves I've added I will update once they start growing leaves ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472678148.301492.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472678181.601950.jpg

if theirs a ceiling fan in the room running it should help ,
I also use these fans they seem to work good if you have a old computer floating around
you can build a nice unit out of the fans inside

Back
Top Bottom