power head advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon tank and I just added 70 pounds of live rock this week. I am running a fluval 304 canister filter, mainly for water flow. I have two profile 601 powerheads. They should go at opposite ends of the tank, correct? They can be set to mix air in with the water as it shoots out. Should I be adding air?

I wouldn't add air for SW... Alot of things that you might add later are irritated by air bubbles. Point the two power heads at each other.

Are the profiles still new? If so you should take them back and get some maxijet 1200 which are rated at 295 gph. Your 601's are rated only at 125. You would need 6 of them to get the proper circulation in your tank. 5 if you wanted to count on the fluval output being consistant (which I would not as I have the 104 and they tend to lose gph as time progresses and need cleaning). If you cannot take them back go pick up two maxijets and use one of your 601's to mix salt water.

No air. One on each end of the tank. Point them toward the center and top of the tank. Try to breeak the surface a bit with at least one. Your goal is to create a nice caotic current with them.

Thanks, OK, the air is off. I was under the impression from the lfs that this would be enough circulation for live rock, a few hermit crabs and shrimp, and fish. No? I'm not planning to get into corals, unless in the far-off future.

Back
Top Bottom