Power strip with timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mastertrcky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I received a new power strip with a timer on it for christmas but it has 2 plugs for on and 2lugs for off and 4 plugs for on all the time but my light fixture has three light plugs. It has actinic daylight and then moonlight led. I'm trying to figure how I should properly set this thing up. Also it's the Zilla one with the digital display.

Plug the actinic and moonlight into the day side, the moonlight into the night side.

Do the fish ever need total darkness or is it okay to have the LEDs on all the time? And I read some people have their arctics turn on before the daylight and stay on after is that not that necessary?

I like to give both my freshwater and saltwater tanks a total darkness time. I look at like this. I wouldn't want light 25/7 and it does get dark in the wild. Yeah dim moonlights are nice but at 2-3am to 7am I better be sleeping so... Night time for everyone it is lol.

I believe the moonlights are for your viewing pleasure.

I actually use to have moonlights on my 75g African tank and it seemed to have changed there temperament so I switched back to total darkness at 10pm. You still have room lights or lights from the TV until everyone finally goes to bed.

Long post I know but you the point.

My moonlights turn off at 1am on my reef. I don't think it hurts to run them all night though. I know a lot of folks who do that. I did it on my planted community tank for years with no side effects.

I just choose to cut it at 1 so I save the LEDs, since I am a crotchety old man who is never up that late, so no reason to have the tank be viewable :)

I turn my actinics on 2 hours before my HO lights and leave them one 1 hour longer at night. Then I have 4 moonlight led's that I run 24 hours a day.

What type of timer do you use?

I have timers I bought at Walmart. They are both plugged in to two different timers. The actinics come on at noon, the HO comes on at 2. HO goes off at 930 and the actinics go off at 1030. Then the moonlight led's are plugged in separately and run 24/7. Here is a picture of my two timers.

image-1574349911.jpg

Back
Top Bottom