Problems with nitrates and phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saving a tank takes just as much work as starting a new one. If I would have known I'd probably wouldn't have done it

The starts always hard as learning as u go unless done it before. I never had fish before started this and love it now. Once it's settled u will find things a lot easier to keep on top off

Dillution is the solution to pollution.
Wc's are tour best friend when ur params are out of wack. I would steer clear of vodka or sugar dosing. As well as phosphate reactors. I run a refugium with a few mangroves and some cheateo and a skimmer( I dry skim a week a month only) Never ran a gfo reactor or dosed anything other then kalkwasser on my Ato. Sometimes in this hobby simplicity is key.

I've been doing water changes. Doesn't seem to help at all. I was thinking about getting macro algae copods and amipods. I was reading somewhere that the macro will help my problems

Why stay away from reactors? I not used before so doing my homework before I make mind up

I'm not sure. This guy I know runs them in all his tanks. But I've also realized what works for one tank may not work for others.

If you can't get ahold of the nitrates and phosphates, you might want to try out a reactor to bring them under control. I run one on my tank and do believe it helps. Seperate pump and it is pretty simple to run.

I run the dual reactor. It can be a pain if the pump doesn't give the right amount of flow. If that is their recommended, then I'm sure it is on the right path. Make sure a ball valve comes with it so you can get the flow just right.

I heard one side tends to clog on it but all it takes to fix that is to adjust to valve to allow more pressure and it'll unclog it. Just tested my water again. I'm starting a journal for my tank. Today my nitrates are 10ppm ammonia is at .50ppm and nitrites are at 0. Last time I checked them was Thursday and my nitrates was at 20 and ammonia was at 1

Wait, we're still cycling? I wouldn't worry about anything besides getting the cycle done. Then I'd start worrying about water changes and other such things.

I hope not. I saved the tank a little over a month ago. Didn't clean the sand so I've been having problems ever since. I was thinking it went into a mini cycle at one time. But now I'm just unsure

I'd remove the livestock to another container and stir the sandbed up again. Do a massive water change, like 80%. A year ago there was a case like this, want to say that is what got him moving in the direction of better. Don't know if it is viable though.

Back
Top Bottom