Proposed 65G Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I just posted a thread in the introduction forum as I am new to this site and new to saltwater aquariums. I am every eager to begin my 65G-75G saltwater/reef ready aquarium and even more eager to have people help me with my setup along the way. All help is greatly appreciated and respected. I'd like to begin this undertaking by asking you all about the setup I have planned. I have just a few specific questions about certain aspects of the setup but all knowledge for any area is more then welcomed. Below is what I have planned:

-This aquarium will be used as a closed loop, room divider. I would like it to be viewed from all 3 sides (so connections will by on one end
-65G/75G tank 20" deep with stand at 30" tall
-CPR Wet/Dry Filter
-400G/Hour Max Flow
-5G Sump
-1.5G Bio Chamber
-Lifegaurd Aquatics AquaStep 15W UV Sterilizer
-48" 6 54W Aquatic Life T5 HO Fixture with 4 lunar LED's
-Pan World 40PX Magnetic Water Pump
-480G/Hour Max flow
-Max Head Height 13.5ft

I would like to base my first few questions on the proposed above equipment.

1. I would like to drill one end of the aquarium for the closed loop system. However if I don't do that and 90 into the aquarium with the intake and return I will have two extra 90 bends. Can my motor handle this or will flow rate be drastically effected.
2. In regards to head height the intake and return will be as close to the surface as possible in order to maintain my tank from overflowing my sump in the event of power failure. The pump states 480G/H and max head height 13.5ft. 480G/H at 13.5ft? or is that reduced to say 150G/H at 13.5ft. Are they trying to say at 0ft head height is it 480G/H? If that is so, how should i size my pump if the height of my intake and returns is roughly 3.5ft
3. Last question for tonight. Lighting states 1 lamp comes on with the 10k lamp and the other 4 are one separately. Will the 4 on constantly at 216W total be enough watts or do I need to find a fixture that will give me a fixture that will give me 5 times my gallon ratio, which would be 325W.

Again all input is greatly appreciated and these are all the questions I have for tonight. Thanks to all who can help me.

Back
Top Bottom