Qt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a sw tank now for about 6 months. So im fairly new to everything. Been reading that qt tanks r a must have. Is it basically a cycled tank with some lr in it? Do u just get a basic filter n let it run? Is there I need to know before I would set it up? Any info is good

Going to follow along with this one because I have been rolling the dice so far with my 2 month old 45 gal.

I'm glad to see people want to know about it. Unfortunately nobody has yet to comment about it 

Also I put qt tank. Lol. Qt does mean quarantine tank. I put quarantine tank tank. Whoops. Lol

A qt is a very good idea and a must have u always want to qt ur fish for at least 30 days prior to putting them in ur tank also I have one with a fluval filter on it and it has no lr incase I need to dose some meds others have different opinions I also don't have sand it is just bare glass with water and filter

So when u acclimate u do twice. First with qt then after 30 days with main tank?

When u started it how'd u cycle the water with nothing in it?

Do u just keep the damsels in it all the time?

The damsels stay in there to keep the bacteria alive and if they get anything they are cheap also I have a 20 gallon

If you were to take a small piece of base rock, put it in your DT for a month, then move it to the QT would that help to set up the BB in the canister filter?

There is no wrong way or right way to do a qt you can do that I just don't incase I need to dose the tank

What's a coral dip? Is that like acclimating it?

Grease said:
What's a coral dip? Is that like acclimating it?

No you get the dip at a LFS or order it on line.I use Seachem Reef dip coral disinfectant.You add it to a container with some of your tank water and place the coral in there a short while.It will kill any bad hitchhikers such as flatworms or red bugs etc.

Back
Top Bottom