Re-use current sand substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I am going to be moving my tank again in about a month. It has been up about 1.5 years. I moved the tank about 6 months ago from the upstair to the downstairs with no issues. I removed everything including sand and moved the tank. Once setup, I added everything back including all livestock.

I am wondering about the bottom part of my 4" sandbed having sulfur or other other toxins you hear about with DSB's. I would consider this the minimum depth of a DSB but a DSB none the less.

After talking to a LFS today, he recommended I remove the sand and throw it away. He said if I re-used it, I would be setting myself up for a big cycle or worse. I have a few SPS and LPS now and I know they are more sensitive so I really don't want lose any of them.

Should I buy new sand or let it re-cycle? I need a minimum downtime I am sure.

Mike

i say you get some new sand but add a cup or two (or three) of your old sand to get the bacteria sparked and some microfauna started.
out of curiosity, how deep is the sandbed?
HTH

or better yet, if you can handle it, weigh the DSB down with a trash bag and some thing heavy on top. this will minimize disturbance to the sandbed during the move. then the sandbed wont release any nastiness.
or if thats too heavy to try (im not sure where the DSB is in your system) then maybe you could try moving the more sensitive inhabitants to the nano frag tank (or to a friends tank if you have any reefer buddies nearby) while cycling your display.

Sand bed is 4" in the display. I have sand in the fuge too but I think I can carry that one. It is not real deep.

I was told I could try to move the tank with sand in it but it would be extremely heavy. If I could get it on a furnature dolly I could move it but lifting it on/off the stand would be rough. Plus I figure the sandbed will get disturbed somewhat.

Does everyone ditch their DSB when they move. Previously I was told it would be fine but the sand bed is older now. I did see a small ammonia spike when I moved it last time but it was little.

As for moving to my nano, that would be tough. I was planning on getting a 20L to replace the 10 but the SPS's might not like the PC's too much.

If I could get southdown sand I would do it but buying $30 sand bags suck :(

I washed my sand and added it again. Worked great.
I was reading about the sand getting used. So the sand can't release calcium into the water anymore. (I think that's what I was reading)

Not sure about the calcium releasing? I assume washing it would work but that takes time too. I just wonder how bad the cycle would be.

not good for your sps thats for sure.
did you rinse with SW or FW. i would say rinsing with SW is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom