redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are doing hypo you need a refractometer. A hydrometer isn't dependable or accurate enough to successfully keep your salinity at 1.009.

Great, thanks! I will hopefully order it later on today.

Is it still ok to do a water change and start lowering the salinity a little bit?

As much as you want...The key is to get it to 1.009 within 36 hours..I have always instantly put fish into conditions hypo with no issues

As much as you want...The key is to get it to 1.009 within 36 hours..I have always instantly put fish into conditions hypo with no issues

Thanks!

I don't think that I will be able to get it down to 1.009 within 36 hours (I have to wait for my refractometer to come in once ordered (I am thinking that I should have the refractometer before I start to get on the lower side as far as salinity goes).

Is this a problem? :thanks:

I'm sure you could get it down to 1.014 using your hydrometer and be in the safe zone.

Thank you.

Then when I get my refractometer I will test and adjust as needed, right?

Will there be a problem if I am a little above 1.014 on the hydrometer?

Sorry for all of these questions, lol.

Some believe it will adapt if taken down to slowly..Not sure if i believe that or not..

Lowering it will only help ,so i say go as low as you feel comfortable with a hydrometer ..You can get glass floating refractometers too,,9 bucks or sao at any LFS

Some believe it will adapt if taken down to slowly..Not sure if i believe that or not..

Lowering it will only help ,so i say go as low as you feel comfortable with a hydrometer ..You can get glass floating refractometers too,,9 bucks or sao at any LFS

Cool, never heard of the glass floating refractometers before.

So at the very least I will move over the fish from LA to this tank, and mess with some rock today.

About how many gallons of freshwater does it take to get the salinity around 1.009? Or is it just "add and test" to see where you are at?

Thanks!

Cool, never heard of the glass floating refractometers before.

So at the very least I will move over the fish from LA to this tank, and mess with some rock today.

About how many gallons of freshwater does it take to get the salinity around 1.009? Or is it just "add and test" to see where you are at?

Thanks!
This is the only way that i see,,but like i said, i always put the fish right in hypo,so i just made my water 1.008 and filled up the QT

OK everyone!

I got all of my fish from LA into the 125g, and the coral that was from LA in the 125g into the 55g. :)

I also moved some rock between both tanks.

I didn't really start the treatment (hypo) yet, but I plan to tomorrow or sometime this week.

Now I am off to go make new build threads for these two tanks. Please continue to follow, you all are fantastic! :-D

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I have come to my senses (with some help, lol) and have decided to make this a reef again. :)

I figured since I have the lights and other equipment, it would be unwise not to make this a reef.

Thanks everyone for bearing with through my indecisiveness! :-D

Good decision! I was hoping you would stop worrying so much about the ich. Once it's ich free you can do stuff to keep iot from coming back so as long as you qt you should be fine.

How about some pictures of where you are at? I know they won't be mind blowing shots at this point, but still nice to see what you have going on. :-D

Good decision! I was hoping you would stop worrying so much about the ich. Once it's ich free you can do stuff to keep iot from coming back so as long as you qt you should be fine.

How about some pictures of where you are at? I know they won't be mind blowing shots at this point, but still nice to see what you have going on. :-D

Thanks!

I will go take some now :)

By the way, I love my Lawnmower!

Lawnmowers are awesome! I'm still sad I lost mine in the 125g but i do have another one that i will add when I break down the 2 small tanks for the 60g.

This new lawnmower only eats algae so far, my last one ate everything, brine, clams everything. lol

Lawnmowers are awesome! I'm still sad I lost mine in the 125g but i do have another one that i will add when I break down the 2 small tanks for the 60g.

This new lawnmower only eats algae so far, my last one ate everything, brine, clams everything. lol

They are! I have only witnessed my Lawnmower eating algae, but he could be eating other food when I feed. :)

Back
Top Bottom