Scored a 55g full reef set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
So once again, Craigslist comes through for me. I just picked up a 55g reef tank with everything. Sale included a 55g tank with built in overflow, wet/dry filter with uv sterilizer, protein skimmed, rio pump, ho lighting with moon lights, power heads, sand, live rock, 2 test kits (saltwater kit and reef kit), custom stand which make the tank with lights about 6' tall, water conditioner and 3 other bottles of additives. Price for it all $150!!! So excited to set up a coral tank.

Plans: mostly corals but need suggestions on what to add to it using those lights

Fish: probably green chromis, six line wrasse, pair of cardinals, watchman goby and possibly a flame angel. Lots of crabs and shrimp.

Now what should I do? Should I take the sand out, put it in buckets and scrub the tank? Should I leave everything alone and just fill it with RO water?

Well, the sand has been out of water so I would assume that all of the BB is dead. I would scrub the sand and the tank before getting started to make sure there isn't a large amount of garbage caught up in the sand you don't know about.

A real nice find man. The t5ho would have cost more than that alone.

Sniperhank said:
Well, the sand has been out of water so I would assume that all of the BB is dead. I would scrub the sand and the tank before getting started to make sure there isn't a large amount of garbage caught up in the sand you don't know about.

A real nice find man. The t5ho would have cost more than that alone.

My thoughts exactly. Yeah the girl said she was losing a lot on this tank but had to get rid of it.

The sand was in water the entire time except that little bit from last night. Here's a pic of how much water is left and the sand is still saturated.

Attachments

• image-3619551807.jpg
    image-3619551807.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 103
And we are up and running!!! Cleaned everything except the rocks. Found a leak with one of the fittings but its all good now. Filter runnin, check! Skimmer workin, check! Uv workin, check! Now all I have to do is wait.

First picture is just to give you an example on how tall the tank is on that stand. From floor to lights is 72". LOVE IT!!! My kids love it because it's right at eye level for them.

Once the salt level is right and the water clear I'll add another 20lbs of LR for the cycle and a new Koralia 750 gph ph is on the way.

Attachments

• image-278361149.jpg
    image-278361149.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3986008057.jpg
    image-3986008057.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1108396935.jpg
    image-1108396935.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1631612646.jpg
    image-1631612646.jpg