Setting up Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was reading on some website and it was unclear as to which is the correct way to set up rocks, live or base.

Are you suppose to set the rocks on top of the sand or set it on the glass and cover parts of it with the sand? The site was saying how some sand sifters may shift the rocks and could cause it to fall.

I have also read a lot of articles about that too. I set my rocks deep in the sand close to touching the glass. another way you can do it is to setup a PVC rack to suspend the rocks, which creates a nice aquascape.

Personally, I like the idea of using PVC pipe for support. But as I've said in another thread, I'd be worried about detritus collecting in it somehow.

TygGer said:
I was reading on some website and it was unclear as to which is the correct way to set up rocks, live or base.
The way I see it there is no "correct" way, just differing alternatives.

Personally I bury the support rock beneath the sand. Others rest it atop the sand or just below it while more still use the PVC technique. All works the same to a degree.

The main consideration you should give it is how stable your final structure will be and what fish you will be keeping. The latter being moreso important. There are many types of digging/tunneling fish and inverts alike that can undermine the stability and cause the rock to tumble. If you plan to keep these kinds of animals you should build accordingly.

Cheers
Steve

I start with broad nearly worthless looking rocks after I have the sand in place. I then bury them as much as possible in the sand. This provides a good base with which to stack the other rock.

Keep in mind, just like having kids around the house with things they can get into, you have to check on them (if not always have your eyes directly on them). I see my dominoes clearing some sand away from the corner of my lr. I periodically check the tip-ability of the rock and leave it if it's fine. Watch the fish and see what they do. Be sure to start with stability.

Back
Top Bottom