shedding purple whip gorgonian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delpro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have a purple whip gorgonian, new addition to tank ....white polyps were extended after it was put into tank but now seems to be shedding its "skin" is this normal? can some one help please all tank parameters seem fine

Gorgonians, like leathers, periodically shed a waxy film to rid itself of mucus and algae, etc... It is quite common for the trauma of transport to a new system to trigger this response. Give the gorg plenty of waterflow to help it shed the film and it should be fine in a few days.

Are gorgonian hard to keep? I can get a purple frag for 5 bux and I can feed it DT's phyto (already have them)

Photosynthetic gorgs are relatively easy to keep, they require lots of light and good water movement. The DT's should help also, but there is some debate as to whether the DT's is feeding the coral, or if it's feeding what the corals eat. With such a small system, I must reiterate (what I've told you via IM) be careful with it, the DT's is live, but can easily cause pest algae problems.

I am only dosing 2 ml where it says 1/2 teaspoon. I think I am ok right now.

Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom