Small pockets of "air" in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is roughly 3-4 months old... I purchased 20 lbs of "aragonite" sand from lfs, then added 20 lbs ls from liverocks.com during the first couple of weeks, totalling 2-5" of sand (water currents change depth in some areas due to phs). Everything seems to be great in the tank - now populated with a couple of clownfish, peppermint shrimp, some snails.

I've noticed something looking through the glass at the sand - a ton of small cavities or air pockets in the sand. Is this created by creatues, or buildup of gases in the sand? Is this normal? Or are these perhaps translucent creatures? I have found worms in the sands, creating their usual narrow paths up, and I have what I think are pods now on the glass...really the tank is teaming with life. I'm just not sure about these little pockets of "air" in the sand.

luckycat said:
Is this created by creatues, or buildup of gases in the sand? Is this normal? Or are these perhaps translucent creatures? I have found worms in the sands, creating their usual narrow paths up, and I have what I think are pods now on the glass...really the tank is teaming with life. I'm just not sure about these little pockets of "air" in the sand.
Basically a combination of all the above. Any little air pockets in the sand is a good sign. It shows at least the beginnings of denitrification. Anoxic bacteria (upper sand levels if a DSB) give off both nitrogen and CO2 though so it's one or both.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
luckycat said:
Is this created by creatues, or buildup of gases in the sand? Is this normal? Or are these perhaps translucent creatures? I have found worms in the sands, creating their usual narrow paths up, and I have what I think are pods now on the glass...really the tank is teaming with life. I'm just not sure about these little pockets of "air" in the sand.
Basically a combination of all the above. Any little air pockets in the sand is a good sign. It shows at least the beginnings of denitrification. Anoxic bacteria (upper sand levels if a DSB) give off both nitrogen and CO2 though so it's one or both.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve! I'll have to look up more about DSBs to see how they work... It was my intent to follow guidelines provided on aa to create a DSB, but I'm not exactly sure how/why they "work". Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom