Started SW tank 29 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oojoepodoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started a sw tank with live sand, live rock and a clown fish. My clown fish is a little bit black on top and don't know why. Is that because of a little bit of ammonia? My tank is a month old.

Can you upload a pic? It could be a young black and white clown.

Are you testing your water? If there is ammonia and nitrite in there the clown wont be very happy and shouldn't really be in there until your tank is fully cycled.

ForumRunner_20130212_152420.jpg

Ya I check my water daily. My tank has cycled. Started getting ammonia after fish was transfered to my tank on day three and ammiona started to show up again. But I'm also cycling a 29g using fish flakes.

Not done cycling. Could take up to 6 weeks. U should see that spike then everything back down to 0. Waiting is the hard part!

They are hardy and should survive but causes them a lot of stress. People cycle with damsels but clownfish are about the same.

The nitrite is at zero and nitrate was 30ppm. What does your tank look like pau?lr

I have a biocube 29. 30lbs of rock. Have 2 clowns, damsel and a dottyback. Gonna add some corals this weekend. Been going for about 11 weeks. Been going slow. Right now all my levels are at 0. I did get some really good established rock so it helps a lot. But u might not always see it at 0. How much rock did you have again?

About 10 pounds. It's a 10g. But I'm also cycling a 29g. 10g is 5 weeks old. 29 is only 5 days old. No rock in that one but I ha live sand in there.

The black on your clown looks like natural coloration.

Attachments

• image-1831944041.jpg
    image-1831944041.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 113
Not the clearest pic but the clown looks fine. The nitrates should be controlled. 30 ppm is a little high. Harder to control in a 29 gallon though. I have a 39 gallon with a 25-30 gallon sump and I really have to stay on top of parameters.

Did a water change. Got it down to 5ppm, 1ppm ammonia. My clwn is always chilling near my in water filter. Any ideas?

Clowns are funny. Sometimes they will hang at the top if they have a bully. But since its new i have read a bunch about where they will just hang at the top. I dont think i would be worried. The tank is young. He will move more as time goes on. Can always get him a friend to hang with. But they take a little while to get use to things. When i started adding fish all they would do is sit behind a rock in the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom