Starting 29 gallon reef how much light ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

la9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to set up a 29 gallon reef. I plan on keeping easy to care for corals. Can I get by with NO fluorescent ? Should I go with Power compacts ? Metal halide ?

Sugestions on corals would be helpful too and yes I will use the search button.

Thanks everyone

Heya, Welcome to AA!!!

To keep most corals that dont' have low light requirements your going to need around 5-6 watts per gallon of water. This is 145 - 174 watts. There are different ways to do this, MH and VHO being the most popular. I would research MH, VHO, and PC, you might be surprised what you find out!!!

I'm going with PC on my tank, but I have a 75 gal and have a little bit more room to work with. What are the dimensions of your tank???

Do you plan on keeping any fish? Tell us more about your plans...

HTH, Joshua...

Tank size is 30l x 12w x 18h

I plan on using a 4 inch crushed coral live sand bed.

30+ pounds of live rock.

Reef cleanup crew

10 gallon sump with calupra

Aqua-c remora or urchin skimmer

Probably get 2 clownfish since it is too small for a tang.

Probably start out with colt, leather and mushroom corals.

Thinking about getting PC 2 x 65 watt one 10k one actinic bulb, hood.
Didn't now if I could get by with a couple T8 bulbs instead. Not sure about the metal halide since they run hot and I've been around some that the ballast buzzes.

I like your 2 X 65W PC idea, with your tank only being 18H that will look great.

For clarification, do you plan on mixing CC and sand???

HTH, Joshua...

You really need to decide which corals you want before purchasing lighting.

I would go with 4 x T5 .. 2 actinic + 2 white.

no matter what you want at least 120watts (4wpg minimum) to be able to handle the easier, lower light corals.
MH might be overkill on a 29gallon...but if you upgraded, you could easily transplant the MH to the new tank, saving a little $$ in the process.

If you just use NOs make sure you have at least 3 wpg. with that you could probably keep shrooms, toadstool leather, colt coral, and some gorgonians. it is possible to do a reef with NO but i would highly reccomend getting some PCs or something better. But with PCs you can keep alot of softies and make a pretty good reef tank.
HTH

If you got the money to spend, get MH.
I started off buying 48W PC's thinking I just wanted to have softies. Than I wanted to get LPS and upgraded to 96W PC. I caught the clam and SPS fixation and had to spend more money to upgrade to MH lighting. If I bought MH from the start I would have saved myself hundred of dollars that I could have spent on live stock.

With MH you can pretty much keep anything under the sun. The buzzing sound from some ballast is a pin drop when you got fans blowing, a skimmer running, and the water rushing down to the sump.

Anyone use the new t5 lighting ? Are they very bright ?

the 30" coralife aqualight 2-65 watts would work greeat for most soft corals and polyps. Most LPS would thrive under it as well. I run this over a 26 bowfront and it does a good job.

Back
Top Bottom