starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks guys, will do. another question, i'm working in Nashville TN and i was wondering how long live rock can be out of a tank while still minimizing die-off? i ask because they have an awesome store here, and i have nothing back home.. its an 8 hour drive.. LMK thanks guys!

Best case scenario would be to put the rock in coolers of saltwater. If no possible, wrapping in wet newspaper helps, but after about an hour I'd expect lots of die-off.

This is IMO not IME though.

I would also submerge it in water if at all possible. there will be substantial die off in 8 hours, but it's probably not even cured at the LFS anyway. Also, remember that live rock is shipped in containers from across the ocean and they do not take special care with it. It's not uncommon for it to be out of the water, with just some damp newspaper draped over it for 4 or 5 days.

just got just got some stuff in,did a test and ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20. but my PH is only at 7.8.. that's pretty low right?
img_1741685_0_a8d876a35e22200398af5f378a6cf577.jpg

thanks! any suggestions on how to position them? thanks again!

Just move them around till you find the sweet spot. I would probably start with them at either side of the tank about 3/4 the way up, aiming at each other. The object is not to have any/many low flow spots where detritus can accumulate. You will place corals accordingly.

img_1743255_0_9878eb8cdd52968a251196b6d8ee0309.jpg

only two decent small pieces that the store had.. kind of lost on how to place them but i guess when i get my dry rock i will try to make it look better.. also light is temporary just to get the pic to work out, so is the egg crate.. any suggestions or other info is appreciated, thanks!

Wait... Did I read right? You DON'T want a cover on your saltwater tank? Better to have it open? Did I read that right?

if your talking about me writing that the crate is temp. i just meant this particular piece, i will have another piece of crate cut out that fits better and hits the rear rim as well.

ebondaruk said:
if your talking about me writing that the crate is temp. i just meant this particular piece, i will have another piece of crate cut out that fits better and hits the rear rim as well.

I thought someone had said it was a big no no to put a glass top on a saltwater tank. Just curious because I'm new and set up my bio cube 29.

It's not a big mistake, but I believe a tank is healthier without glass covers. An open top tank has better gas exchange, due to a constant supply of fresh air hitting the water surface, and the glass top does hold in some heat and restricts a little light from penetrating. Your evaporation will increase with the top off however.

If you have a problem with evaporation get an ato which is a lot more effective at keeping the sg stable. This is a 20 gallon long I would do a 150 watt mh not a 250 unless it was way up from the tank because of heat issues. Heat is another reason not to have a glass top on your tank especially if you decide on a mh light.

mr_X said:
It's not a big mistake, but I believe a tank is healthier without glass covers. An open top tank has better gas exchange, due to a constant supply of fresh air hitting the water surface, and the glass top does hold in some heat and restricts a little light from penetrating. Your evaporation will increase with the top off however.

Very interesting. Wonder if this would apply for say.... A bio cube as well? Since everything is under the hood. Meaning the hood is covering all three chambers and water. I wonder why the HQ model went glass top, that's another topic don't wanna hijack.

question about something i noticed.. when i mix up the salt mix with water the salinity measures 1.024 a couple days later its down to 1.019.. so i mix up some more mix in my bucket, pour it in, get it perfect again...next day its down again....now i know when i get fish in tank i need to pre-mix water for at least a day, but is that the reason for the drop in salinity? unfortunately im measuring with a hydrometer, but a refractometer is next on my list.thanks guys!

How long are you waiting to measure the salinity after you mix? Measuring right after mixing will yield different results as the salt has not completely dissolved. Your sample will not be indicative of the whole batch etc.

If anything, the salinity increases as some water evaporates over time. Not much with the lid on...but a bit.

bought 19 pounds of lace rock.. any special instructions on cleaning and prepping? will post pics when i get a chance,thanks!

also, starting to think stocking list.. this being a 20 L i know that the list will be very short.. looking at the compatibility chart here,it say i can have nothing... everything is min. 30 G...LMK if anyone has any suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom