Starting a testing chart.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to document my testing results on paper so that I can look at long term consistency or lack of within my test results. These are the tests that I have. API ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph,calcium and Hagen alkalinity,phospate. I believe the only thing I am missing is magnesium? I will pick up a test kit for that in a couple of weeks.
I only want to be a mad scientist once per week if I can get away with it. I am still debating on the best time to test. I was thinking of testing my fresh batch of saltwater a few times to know where I am at. I started using reef crystals and will probably stick with it(with calcium additive to bring it to 400+). So once I determine that my water going into the tank is good I will only test batches once per month. I am thinking that I should test my tank at the end of the week before I do my water change to see what my real levels look like and determine if I have any problems in my tank. Any thoughts on this or test kits that I am missing please let me know. Thanks.:cool:

I also test a day or two before a water change, in the evening when the pH is the highest. I also test midweek for Ca/Alk, in addition to testing it before the water change. I record all my results in an Excel spreadsheet.

I rarely test my fresh saltwater. I'll occasionally test if for Ca/Alk, but that's about it. I use DI water and check the TDS of it every couple weeks, so I'm not to concerned about my water. I do check it's salinity though every time I do a water change.

I was PM from a moderator for fantasy reef suggesting I check out the tank log section on there site where you can graph your results and it stores it for you. It seems like a great idea although I could not figure it out on there site guess I will have to keep plugging away at it. Kurt you state you us an excell spreadsheet is this something you created or was it already setup for aquarium paramaters?? I am a paper and pen kinda guy but keeping stored on the PC is probably a better idea so that my 5/3 year old daugthers cant color all over it.

My Excel spreadsheet is just a computerized columnar pad! Nothing special, just a row for each date, and column for each water parameter. No graphing, nothing fancy. Really just the same thing as pencil and paper!

Back
Top Bottom