Starting new 55G reef tank. Setup questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcos77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm helping my friend setting up a 55G reef tank. He already has the tank and stand. Would this be a good setup? Here is my list:

*Two maxi jets 1200 for circulation and one maxi jet 600 for the surface agitation.
*150W water heater
*5-6 bags of live sand aragonite
*Digital Thermonitor
*Timers for lights
*Mag Float glass cleaner
*Ground Probe (are these recommended?)
*Two 24" coralife 100% actinic bulbs
*36" ORBIT 2x96W Power Compact Aquarium Light w/Moon light

I don't know what type of filter he should get? wet/dry, canister or hang-on? Any recommendations?

thanks

I forgot to mention an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer, but probably doesn't need it yet until he gets LR.

Two maxi jets 1200 for circulation and one maxi jet 600 for the surface agitation. - SOunds good, may want 1 more 1200 for more water movement...

*150W water heater- go 200 watts so the 150 isn't works so hard 24/7

*5-6 bags of live sand aragonite
*Digital Thermonitor Not NEEDED but nice... can use a 3 dollar glass type...

*Timers for lights need at least 3, 2 for lights and 1 for moonlights

*Mag Float glass cleaner- good

*Ground Probe (are these recommended?) Naw...

*Two 24" coralife 100% actinic bulbs

*36" ORBIT 2x96W Power Compact Aquarium Light w/Moon light needs ALOT more light for a reef ! ALOT more !

I don't know what type of filter he should get? wet/dry, canister or hang-on? Any recommendations?

Well how much live rock does he plan on getting? If he has enough LR he doesn't need folters really. I have a 55 with some corals in it and I have the Aqua C Remora HOB and a Emporer 400 with the baskets filled with carbon is all...

Sounds pretty close. I would use a combination of metal halides and PC's for lighting on a 55gal, if your going for a reef, and if you can, use a sump tank, probably as big as you can fit, at least 30 gal. You can get a HOB siphon overflow box, so you won't have to drill the tank. I just got one and they work great! DSB and LR in the sump and the skimmer is all you'll need! Then your water quality will be superior. The Aqua C are the best skimmers, IMO! If you do use a sump I recommend the AquaC EV 120 in-sump skimmer with the Mag 5 :wink:

thanks for the helpful advice. I think he plans on having about 2/3 of tank filled with LR. If he just uses PC's without the metal halides how much more wattage would he need in addition to the 2x96? I thought it was supposed to be around 4 watts to a gallon, well this is what the LFS says.

needs to be more then that.. I am at 4x65=260 divide by 55= 4.7
I would suggest more at least 5.5 to 6 with PC lights... The PC doesn't seem to go through the water like MH does...

Back
Top Bottom