Step-by-step 75 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good choice with a 75. I have a thread called new tank transfer in this section, its a 75 corner flow tank :) might be able to get some ideas

Picture of the electric panel

Just updating with a pic of what I'm planning to hook all electric. It'll be above the bottom of the tank level and behind the tank. It's gonna be movable to either left or right sides totally reachable (as it is in the pic)
img_2446258_0_268a3e9a2e6310ea60ad21a3d639273e.jpg

Looks great so far. I have not yet crossed over to the salty side, but I'm sure following! That stand and canopy look amazing, that was an excellent find IMO.
Good Luck!

-Kyle

Step 10 - Circulation Pumps

Thank you Kyle. And yes, you should give the salty side a try, it's so amazing... even the building time...!

CIRCULATION - I've got 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution , they're installed and hooked to my electric panel. I've heard about wavemakers but I have no idea about it... maybe will use one in near future.

Also installed a digital termometer today, let's see how it will work.

NEXT STEP: RO/DI SYSTEM

I run a mag 9.5 on my 75 as well. I can tell you, over time they tend to get a little noisier with vibrations. I silenced mine with a quart sized freezer bag full of dry sand placed underneath, worked like a champ.

Silencing a Mag-Drive 9.5

Thank you Qube! I'll keep that in mind!

Step 11 - RO/DI system

One more step today ! Wow... running totally out of money.
Spectrapure Max Cap 5 stages filtration system 90GPD. Good reviews and reasonable price. Can't wait to start filling this tank!

Next Step - Sand

Step 12 - Sand

I've got my water filtration system yesterday and already have mounted it on my laundry wall. 5 stars for the looking and the way it works. Very easy setup.

Sand - bought Aragonite sand from Caribsea. Looks too fine for me, its like a powder...lol;

This week I will fill the tank up to test the plumbing and tank for leaking and so.

Next step - Salt, refractometer, thermometer, chemistry tests.

Step 13 - Salt

I got some Instant Ocean salt. Is it good?

Step 14 - Dry rock

I've received my termometer, a refractometer and the salt.

DRY ROCK - ordered 65 pounds of dry rock from BRS. I think that's all I need to start cycle my tank. I will get some live rock from a LFS to help the cycle. I've heard about using MICROBACTER7 to help with cycling also.

Next step - preparing salt water and aquascaping, post photos here!

That should be plenty of rock to get you started. Your rock will all become live during the cycle. Leave some room because when you buy corals, a lot of them come on pieces of rock.

Salinity and temperature

Hello guys and gals.
Need a very basic help that for me is now crucial. Got to prepare my salt to fill in my tank tomorrow or so. What's the ideal temperature and salinity? Do I have to adjust the ph before adding the water to the tnk?

I've received my rocks, it's a lot and I really don't know if I will need all of it.

Also, to start cycle, can I use Microbacter7? My lfs is recommending that as I only have dry rock for now.

BIG THANKS!

Hello guys and gals.
Need a very basic help that for me is now crucial. Got to prepare my salt to fill in my tank tomorrow or so. What's the ideal temperature and salinity? Do I have to adjust the ph before adding the water to the tnk?

I've received my rocks, it's a lot and I really don't know if I will need all of it.

Also, to start cycle, can I use Microbacter7? My lfs is recommending that as I only have dry rock for now.

BIG THANKS!

Temp should be around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Start with 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. This will get you pretty close to 1.025 salinity. You don't have to adjust the PH, as your salt mix should get it where it needs to be. As far as a bacterial additive, it's up to you. I've had good luck with Instant Ocean Bio-Spira, but have not tried Microbacter 7. Keep in mind, these types of additives are not necessary. The cycling process can be easily completed with a raw shrimp wrapped in a nylon bag or stocking and tossed in the tank. This will achieve the same thing over time.

If you're going to go with the added bacteria, I would like to chime in with a recommendation. I don't like the way these additives are designed to work. They add the bacteria to the water coloum and then they eat the ammonia you add. Then they die!
In order to get the bacteria truely on the rocks, what you can do is add some of your rocks to a 5 gal or smaller bucket (tightly packed) and fill with salt water just to cover the rocks. Then add ALL the bottled bacteria. They will now find they get into the rocks in the bucket as there is no where else to go. Leave it for 2-3 days. then remove the rocks from the bucket and immediately add to the tank. Get rid of the left over bucket water, as you don't want free swimming bacteria impacting the results.
The bacteria on the rocks will now spread to other rocks slowly and create a stronger, more reliable BB colony and cycle.
When the rocks are in the bucket, you can even start the cycle in the main tank by adding the raw shrimp or ammonia.

Just a thought!

Thanks for the info, specially on the pH thing...!

If you're going to go with the added bacteria, I would like to chime in with a recommendation. I don't like the way these additives are designed to work. They add the bacteria to the water coloum and then they eat the ammonia you add. Then they die!
In order to get the bacteria truely on the rocks, what you can do is add some of your rocks to a 5 gal or smaller bucket (tightly packed) and fill with salt water just to cover the rocks. Then add ALL the bottled bacteria. They will now find they get into the rocks in the bucket as there is no where else to go. Leave it for 2-3 days. then remove the rocks from the bucket and immediately add to the tank. Get rid of the left over bucket water, as you don't want free swimming bacteria impacting the results.
The bacteria on the rocks will now spread to other rocks slowly and create a stronger, more reliable BB colony and cycle.
When the rocks are in the bucket, you can even start the cycle in the main tank by adding the raw shrimp or ammonia.

Just a thought!

Never heard about it... loved the idea and I think I will do that,since I already bought the bacteria...

Step 15 - Filling tank up starting cycle

Tank is filled and after 24 hours or less the water is very clear. Aquascaping is kinda temporary. Here is my first numbers:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 0
Temp: 80.5F
Salinity: 1.015

I will adjust salinity on the sump. I was sure that it was different when I had the water in the mixing container.

Added 3 table shrimps, after these readings.

Now, as I have heard a lot... let's be patient!!!

4th Day parameters

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 0
Temp: 79.3F
Salinity: 1.020 (added salt)

Back
Top Bottom