Step-by-step 75 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 Week numbers

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 3.0
Nitrite: 1.0
NItrate: 0
Temp: 79.2F
Salinity: 1.021

Adding 3 capfulls of Microbacter7 every day in the morning. Skimmer and lights are off all the time.

Make sure those top rocks are stable. You don't want anything toppling down and cracking your glass, or hurting one of your fish. But it is looking good! :)

How to "glue" rocks

Make sure those top rocks are stable. You don't want anything toppling down and cracking your glass, or hurting one of your fish. But it is looking good! :)

Thanks for the reminder. BTW do you know any kind of glue I can use for these top rocks? Right now if I touch them it will be a mess...! I need something strong and biologically safe...

Cant you still the top rocks and the ones below and use some zip ties, it might look unsightly to begin with but will soon be covered up with algae Or postition the holes to the back and you wont see them.just an idea.

Sorry was meant to say drill not still silly phone

Any super glue labeled as "cyanoacrylate" is safe for your aquarium. I find it cheapest at the dollar store.

Removing rocks while cycling

Thank you for the info. Never knew I could use cyanocrilate (or whatever) in the aquarium..!
Anyway... in order to tie the rocks or glue them (which is what I'm probably doing) do I have to wait to the cycle to finish or I can just take them out , do my work and return them into the tank?

As you can see I'm in the middle of the cycle.

Thank you guys and gals.

BTW here are my numbers today.

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 3.0
Nitrite: 2.0
NItrate: 10
Temp: 78.9
Salinity: 1.023

Take em out and put into a bucket with tank water and move to your workspace. Do the work, exposing them to air is fine, try to be quick tho. Then put them right back in the tank.
Or just pull the top one out, add glue gel to it and stick it where it needs to go in the tank.
You can also use aquarium epoxy or even plumbers epoxy as long as it is safe for potable water lines. Although it is kinda ugly, if it's between rocks you should be fine. I fine the epoxy bond is weaker than the rocks so they can be separated if you want. It might make your skimmer go nuts tho.

Take em out and put into a bucket with tank water and move to your workspace. Do the work, exposing them to air is fine, try to be quick tho. Then put them right back in the tank.
Or just pull the top one out, add glue gel to it and stick it where it needs to go in the tank.
You can also use aquarium epoxy or even plumbers epoxy as long as it is safe for potable water lines. Although it is kinda ugly, if it's between rocks you should be fine. I fine the epoxy bond is weaker than the rocks so they can be separated if you want. It might make your skimmer go nuts tho.

Sorry I never heard about it... do you mean "glue" using the gel inside the water?

You can glue one wet rock then place it on the other rock inside the tank if you use gel superglue. The gel won't harden instantly.

Aquarium epoxy or plumbers epoxy is a play dough like 2 part putty. You cut a small disc of the tube of putty. Then you knead it until the 2 colored parts blend. Then take small pea sized pieces or larger and press into the rock. Finally squish the 2 rocks together and the putty will adhere to both rocks.

All right, I think I'll try the Superglue Gel first.

Here are my numbers today:

Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite ~3.5
Nitrate 10

About ten days cycle... is it ok?

Tanks !!!

Not remembering all the details to you LR amount and ammonia source, looks like you've got the start of all BB but still some ways to go to keep up. Good numbers for day 10.

That is exactly how I did mine, buckets and all. All the little starfish and pods seemed to live. Each rock wasn't out of the water more than five or ten minutes.

Not remembering all the details to you LR amount and ammonia source, looks like you've got the start of all BB but still some ways to go to keep up. Good numbers for day 10.

About 65# of dry rock... 3 medium shrimps to start the cycle.

That is exactly how I did mine, buckets and all. All the little starfish and pods seemed to live. Each rock wasn't out of the water more than five or ten minutes.

That's what I'm gnna do too... specially 'cause I'm gonna be removing the rocks in parts, not all tgether

Thanks for sharing!

Ammonia at zero !!!

Here are my numbers now... about 13 days.

Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 4.0
Nitrate ~10

Question: I know that I should put a CUC in after cycling. Since the shrimp will be gone, what to use to feed the clean up crew ? I mean... I don't "see" any algae.. what do they eat, if there is no fish in the tank?

You don't have to put a CUC in straight away for the reason you have just mentioned, they won't have anything to eat. Start with one Fish then slowly introduce your cleaners :)

Thinking about my first fish

You don't have to put a CUC in straight away for the reason you have just mentioned, they won't have anything to eat. Start with one Fish then slowly introduce your cleaners :)

Thank you so much. That's clarifies my way a little!

So, I was talking to family and we def will put one or 2 clowns in. Can I mix one of those black and white and the "Nemo ones" ? What kind of food do I give them?

Back
Top Bottom