Stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bix

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody,

I have a 135G and ~60G sump.

BM150 Pro as the skimmer and chaeto 'farm'... well it will be a farm soon :D

Right now I have a dogface puffer and domino damsel that are just about ready to be moved back into the main tank after treating with hypo for ich.

Anyway, this is what I was thinking of stocking my tank with (in order):

dogface puffer
domino damsel
flame angel
yellow tang
snowflake moray eel
wrasse (unsure which one yet)
picasso trigger

Does this seem like a good list? Any compatibility issues? Bioload?

Thanks!

Before anyone asks, this will be a FOWLR... no cleanup crew, no coral.

That trigger will likely eat all the smaller fish. Flame angels are peaceful, so are tangs they would be fine with the wrasse and the puffer. I wouldn't get a trigger or the eel it can be aggressive too but get another opinion on that.

For a 135 gallon tank with a 60 gallon sump you should be OK with that group. They are some messy eaters though and I would think about a good skimmer and plenty of LR for some good biological filtration.

As your not getting any CUC I would get a birdnose wrasse which will scoot round eating the leftovers from the messy eaters,I think the females are the nicest.

Reactions: bix
I forgot to mention, there is about 200lbs of live rock in the DT as well, so I hope that will be enough.

Bird wrasse was at the top of my list, same with lunare and dragon wrass. Would be awesome if I could get a fish that I love and also cleans up the mess.

So happy to finally have a list I'm happy with!! :D

Thanks for the responses.

Get the birdnose,when they search for food in the live rock you can see them turning on there side and looking into the rockfor the food,and they are bloody quick!don't add shrimp or small hermits with these,large hermits are ok.

it would be nearly impossible for me to pick out a non- reef safe wrasse for a FOWLR. there are so many beauties to choose from.

i wouldn't go with the snowflake eel though..eels in general hide a lot.

just out of curiosity, what made you choose a domino damsel along with all of these others?

I was going to get a grouper of some kind and decided against it due to its size/aggression, the eel was kindof a compromise for that. I'm ok with having 1 cool fish that hides. Also after watching a bunch of youtube videos on them made me want one more.

For the domino damsel, I did make the mistake of putting three of them in there first after the tank was cycled, rookie mistake. Then ich broke out so I had to catch them all. I brought 2 back but I got attached to one of them so I kept it. He does all kinds of weird stuff and makes me laugh so I thought why not. Plus I'm going with an agressive tank so he won't be the tough guy on the block, the trigger will eventually run the tank..

Do you think its a mistake putting the damsel in there? I'd rather know now then put it in there and have to catch it. I never will catch it without removing all of the rock.

This is a tough/smart domino, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen. If it does though I won't be heartbroken.

One last question, I hope :D ... Do you think the flame angel might get picked on/eaten?

if they are all bought small, there is a good chance they will leave each other alone. ultimately, it's all up to the fish though. if i had to guess, i would say the flame has about an 80% chance he'll be ok.

I was planning on buying the flame angel as large as I can, and the eel/trigger as small as I can.

Also quarantining all new fish for 6 weeks, so between the time the flame goes in and the eel/trigger it will be a few months.

I hope that helps my chances cause I really like the flame angels. I wanted a large angel but decided against that too since I want fish that will be happy for a long time in my tank.

Thanks again for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom