Substrate question. live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to the marine scene.
I was wondering which substrate to use?
Live sand or crushed coral? I know i want to do a reef tank.
And if i use regular playground sand will it eventualy turn into live sand? can i do a mix?
or will the playground sand just stay regular sand?
I dont get it....

For SW, I would only use sand regardless if it is for a coral or fowlr setup. I would avoid using CC. You can the sand from HD if you can find it, but make sure it is the right stuff. I just use aragomax fine sand, which you can get at any online or lfs.
As far as will it turn live or not - you can get lr to cycle the tank, or cycle your tank with a piece of raw shrimp in there and it will help create the bacteria needed to make it "live". HTH

Mike

Okay. So, after the cycle is complete the regular sand will turn live?
The sand i want to use, that is not live, is basalite playsand.
So say if i do a 50/50 mix of live sand and regular sand it will turn the regular sand into live sand after time?

You don't have to use live sand. You can use regular aragomax sand along with the playsand. LR will help cycle the tank for you, or you can use raw shrimp from the grocery store to get it started.
Make sure the playsand is the right stuff though. A lot of people use vinegar as a test to make sure it fizzes, which is what you want. If it doesn't fizz, you don't want it.

Mike

Aragomax is the brand of sand, and Aragonite is the actual type. I would go with the fine sugar grain size.

Sweet! the play sand i have is aragonite type!
So that means that i can do 50% play sand and 50% live sand and then over time the play sand will turn live.
I will start my tank with a ton of fiji live rock and that aragomax sand.
Thanks for all your help!
How many times should a tank cycle in a hour for salt water?
how many times should my 90 gallon be cycled in a hour?

You don't need anywhere near 50% LS. Use 100% of the playsand. Get some uncured LR. Get a lot of base rock (hirocks.com or Reef Rock from ThatFishPlace.com.

Place the base rock on the bottom of the tank in the arrangement you want. Dump in the dry sand. Cover the sand with trash can liner and partially fill the tank with s/w mixed from ro/DI water. Remove the plastic liner. Continue the aquascaping with some LR. Complete the filling of the tank. Let the tank cycle.

The sand will create a cloud in the water column which will settle as the sand gets coated with bacteria. The bacteria will come from the LR. Alternately, you can hold off on the LR for now by adding a cocktail shrimp to start the cycle. See How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish for information on how to do that. Once the tank has cycled prepare for a 25%-30% water change. Remove that amount of water and add some LR, then fill with the freshly made s/w mix.

Your tank will start a new mini-cycle depending on if you are using fresh rock from liverocks.com or uncured rock from other sources (Walt Smith, etc.) You can keep this cycle by doing PWC every day or as needed (as noted by testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate).

The best part is that the sand will be seeded with the critters that come along with the rock (worms, copepods, amphipods, etc.) making a healthy sand bed.

You do want to have a powerhead or two going while you are cycling. You can run a skimmer but your cycle will take longer. I would hold off on the skimmer until the LR went in.

When your tank is ready you should have 10x-20x water flow per hour. FOr a 90 that should be 900 -1800 gph flow from all pumps. Arrange the pumps so they point to each other or to a common spot e.g the center front pane of glass. This will cause a chaotic water flow which is what you want.

Thank you.
So i want that chaotic water flow the whole time i i have the tank running?
And i want 900 to 1,800 gph flow from all pumps in total or should that be for each pump?

is it true that in the long run, the play sand can harm the fish'd gills?

or is playsand safe, i have a 75 gal tank and wish to start out in the right direction.

btw, how much lbs or bags of sand do i need for a 75 gal tank, 48" long x 18" w x 22" deep
thanks

I went to a very reputable LFS this weekend.
I was speaking with one the employees there, he told me i should not use a canister filter for a marine set up. He told me to weekly change the media.
Is that true?
And can i purchase aragonite sand from a hardware store?

Here's the concept behind LIVE. for example, Aquacultured LR means there are these rocks that are placed in platforms by the beach. They then are kept there for a period of time. They start to acquire bacteria and even hitchhikers. So now, they are called Live.

With sand, all you really need to do is get regular sand (not live). SEED it with LR. Eventually, your sand will become Live. that's it. You don't need 50 percent this and 50 percent that or what not. Just get the sand, put Live rock in there, and eventually they will become live. Mostly live with bacteria. at best, maybe some wiggling things or even macroorganisms.

I have a 55G with 400GPH flow rate on my PH. The most concern that you should have when it comes to PH's, sumps, and other filtration/circulation systems is the turnover rate. Which means, how many times will the total volume of water in my tank recirculate in 1 hour. In my case, considering the PH and the HOBS, something like 9 times per hour. That's what I prefer.

Good luck on your project

Okay so i decided to just go with regular aragonite sand.
And some live rock to start off.
I will run my filstar xp3 (350 gph) and a couple of other power heads to get my total gph up to about 1,200 gph.
What do you think?

that's great. Saved you some money from buying live sand (did you see the prices on those????). You're pretty much turning over your 90G tank more than 11 times. That's pretty impressive. I suggest for you to get a skimmer. You can go the cheap route (Prizm skimmer) or the more efficient-but-slightly-pricey Berlin-style skimmer.

Cycle away, my friend, cycle away. :turn-l:

Live sand costs alot!
I want to get the prizm pro skimmer.
What power head should i use?
Isnt the aquasweep the best?

Okay so this is what i have in mind.
100lbs of aragonite sand (not "live")
some fiji live rock (to start my cycle)
I want a berlin skimmer (havent decided which yet)
i havent decided on power heads.
and i want to run my filstar xp3.
I have a Rena 300 watt heater.
and im going to use instant ocean salt mix (becuase its the easiest thing to get out here)
My goal is to cycle the tank 11 time per hour.
What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom