Switching tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently running a 15g high tank. It's got 20lbs of LR in it and 20lbs of aragonite sand. Currently there are only 2 ocellaris clowns and several snails and 2 hermit crabs. In about six months or so, I was planning to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank. My question is, how do I go about moving the fish, LR and sand from the old tank to the new tank? Also, since the 30g will be longer that the 15g, I will probably want to add more LR. How can I do this without getting an ammonia spike that will kill the fish? The new tank will be located in the same spot as the existing one so there will also be the issue of moving the two tanks that I'm guessing will have water in them. Has anyone done this type of switch?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

what i would do would get your new rock and tank and let it cycle the rock a bit then drain it enough to move it !! save all ya can from the 15 move it ,put new tank in its place then add everything from the 15, water and all to the 30 and then change half the water in a week :) think that should work out ok :)

I agree with Scuba_Steve.... Definitly buy the extra rock and sand and allow it to cycle in the new tank before dismantling the old.... Will be tons less to worry about... Good Luck..

I am laying hard wood flooring so I am looking qat the same issues. The tank must be moved. So, if your moving it why not replace it.. :lol: This is my plan. I am going to drain my tank quickly and have 6 or so people on hand to move it and the replace same tank water ASAP... I am then going to lay the flooring set up the new tank in the old ones place. After the cycling is complete I will transfer the old tank to the new over a few weeks. Then out with the old. Replace the rest of the floor and wala done... I am going to need to run two tanks for a few months but I think it will be worth the inconviennce.

Back
Top Bottom