Test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjh302

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's every bodies opinion on which is the best test kit? I have the full gamut of API testers but I was recently told that most of them are inaccurate for saltwater. Last night I purchased the "coral trio" in Red Sea testers. ( kh,ca,mg). Does anybody have an opinion on how accurate the red seas are? I'd like to get more from them if they have good reviews.

Salifert and Elos make good test kits. I am not sure about the Red Sea products.

While I was at That Fish Place last night I was also checking out the salifert testers. After talking to three different employees about testing they all led me to the Red Sea kits due to easiness, accuracy, and price. Two of the employees exact words (which was kinda weird) were " by all means stay away from API testers for saltwater". This would have been nice to know before I bought every single tester API makes a few months ago. Lol.

I also bought 2 new MH bulbs. I explained to them that my fixture was two 150w 20,000k MH with two 460nm t5's. I told them I didn't know when the last time the bulbs had been changed so they suggested changing them. BUT they said I would be better off with the 10,000k bulbs for maximum coral growth...seem legit??

I drove 3 hours to get there. I got there around 7 and they had to push me out the door at closing time. Lol. But I go a few times a month.

Yes, generally 10k lamps put out more PAR than 20k, but they just don't look as nice. As long as your T5s can blue up the tank enough, you'll be fine.
What brand halides did they sell you?

Yes, generally 10k lamps put out more PAR than 20k, but they just don't look as nice. As long as your T5s can blue up the tank enough, you'll be fine.
What brand halides did they sell you?

Reeflux. They were normally 70 but I got them for 21 on sale.

There has also been some debate on my t5's. Some say I shouldn't have put in the 460nm bulbs and should have went with 420nm bulbs. What's your opinion Professor X? Lol

It looks like they peak at around 460-
204333-t5-ati-blue-plus-a.jpg

So I'm not totally wrong by using the Red Sea 460nm bulbs. I've had them in about two months. So I will most likely switch to the ATI bulbs in 4 months when it's time to change. Do the MH need to be changed in 6months or 1 year increments?

I would change the halides out in 9 months. Phoenix makes a 14k lamp that's got pretty high PAR and looks nice. If you don't like the Coralvue lamp, keep that in mind.
What size T5 lamps? I have a bunch of 4' ATI blue plus here that have only about 2 months on them. I suppose I could meet you at the fish place some time.

I would change the halides out in 9 months. Phoenix makes a 14k lamp that's got pretty high PAR and looks nice. If you don't like the Coralvue lamp, keep that in mind.
What size T5 lamps? I have a bunch of 4' ATI blue plus here that have only about 2 months on them. I suppose I could meet you at the fish place some time.

They are 34 inch bulbs that I use. Thanks for the offer!!

Back
Top Bottom