The rocks of dryness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerinanyon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I jut bought a box of brand new dry rock from a local shop. It's never been in water or anything so there is no dead critters or anything. Am I supposed to wash it first before putting into a tank? If the rock never was in water and is spotless white, and I'm putting it in a new tank, can I just put it in before the tank cycles?

Yes, wash the rock or you'll end up with murky water from stuff inside the rocks.

As for the comment about cycling. The whole purpose is to establish your beneficial bacteria onto the surfaces like rock, and sand. So, you put the rock in and then start the cycle.

So do I need to use ro water to clean it or can I just use the tap?

Also, I don't know if you know him. But rich reefer (has one of the best reefs I've ever seen) has also said you don't need to wash them.

My biocube stuff won't be going into the tank for a few weeks. I'm cycling the tank with live sand. And taking the live rock out of my old tank as well. Once the sand finally settles. Bahamas oolite. Finer than fine.

Thanks for suck a quick reply! So not days like forums online say then :p glad to know that

Back
Top Bottom