Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to know. Thanks. This is the fish I want then, now all i need to do is save up and figure out if my 6 line will be aggressive to it. I might buy a bigger Midas so I it has a better chance.

Update

I went to my first reef club meeting! I met Anthony Calfo, and some other really cool people. I got 9 polyps of clove polyps, 1 serpent star, gel seaweed food, and a crapload of reef crystals salt. Here's some pics from earlier today, I'll take pics of the rest when things open up.

Hehe free! I traded for my light and old skimmer. I also got 30$ out of if. Tried raffling for a rocordea and a digitata but I didnt win. Still super fun.

So you go home some nice stuff but did you learn anything that you want to share hmmmm? :) :)

Haha yes!! The whole meeting was about 2 topics, pronouncing scientific names, which I found I was horrible at, and electricity. The electricity part was pretty interesting. We absolutely need gfci in our houses, which is pretty basic knowledge but the thing that was interesting is that they explained how they worked. It pretty scary how simple it is and how if you do just the wrong thing, it will think your a lightbulb and you'll die. It just measures how much electricity is going in and how much is leaving, if the ratio is different, it shuts off. I also learned that power strips need to be a certain type, I think they called it individual receptical, meaning that each outlet on the strip has a separate mould, rather than them all having one copper mould.

I also talked to Anthony Calfo one on one about my dilemma with the candycane not opening up as much as I thought it would and he said that it was most likely fine. He said that some Lps just don't open up that much. The polyps don't have to open up that much if it is already getting the food it needs, that is just wasting energy otherwise. If I really do think it's a problem though, I could add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the tank to get more polyp extension for a little while, just to see how much the candy cane can actually extend. The only problem with that is that it wastes there mucus, which is very hard for them to make.

The only thing I wished I would have brought up is the idea of a Xenia scrubber, I completely forgot.

Soo yeah, I learned a ton. The clove polyps are opening up a little,VERY neon green lol. Can't find the star as I expected..

my fire shrimp died today. i have a thread on it. i think it was the palytoxins from the zoas. im not sure if its possible but that is the only questionable thing to happen. one of the polyps got smashed on a rock and it must have secreted the toxin. I did a 33.3% water change and everything looks absolutely fine now.

i now have 2 fish and a cuc. its pretty sad, any fish/invert recommendations? ive been looking at liveaquaria but finding fish and inverts is definitely not my strongpoint, i just cant seem to decide on anything because im too worried something will happen to it lol.

my stock is..
1 bangaii cardinal
1 6 line wrasse

i know i might have a problem with adding something while i have the wrasse which is what im most worried about. suggestions would be very nice :)

Sorry about the fire:(

Im pretty good at finding fish;) i'd pick from

Midas blanny
Yasha goby/pistol shrimp
B&w clown
Pygmy angel

I'm thinking maybe bw clown and Midas Blenny, but I'm still worried about the wrasse. Would adding them at the same time help by overwhelming the wrasse? Maybe that while the lights are off..

needmorecowbell said:
what about a flame hawkfish?

No inverts with that (as im sure you know).

I would if i was in your position, they are awesome. Hilarious too

needmorecowbell said:
Would hermits amd emerald crabs count? I really want one. Probably that and the midas Blenny.

Im not really sure..i think emerald crabs would be in trouble fosho. Banish them to the sump;)

Well I've decided on the Midas and hawk. I'm not sure when I'm getting them, but I am. I really wish LA was in stock, I would buy it this week and probably end up buying a coral too lol.

needmorecowbell said:
Well I've decided on the Midas and hawk. I'm not sure when I'm getting them, but I am. I really wish LA was in stock, I would buy it this week and probably end up buying a coral too lol.

Haha sounds great!! And eventually, for a 5th fish you have to get a clown;)

I think I'll be done with fish after 4, just too scared to do 5 lol. I'm such a wuss. I have tons of filtration too lol.

Ill be taking pics of the new clove polyps tomorrow, they are so much prettier than I expected. Its already encrusting.. Is that even heard of??

Back
Top Bottom