Up and going for 6 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trigger happy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.
I'm very new to online forums so I'm trying my best. I have a 95 wave that has been up and running 6 or 7 weeks now. I have over 120lbs of rock (less than 1/2 is live rock), a hammer coral, tourch, acan, 8 chromis (2died), two nemos (clown fish) the have hosted the bubble tip I got for them already, small cleanup crew, 2 emerald crabs, naso tang 6" (kinda big). My problem is that my water is just a bit cloudy. Ive tried bio spira and carbon but after 72 hours, still nothing. Any ideas?

What are your water pars..? Have u added anything like sand .? Moved any rocks ? Was your tank cycled befor your additions ? When's last time u did a waterchange?

I think you are moving to fast when stocking your tank, I know that it is nice to sit back and look at a fully stocked tank however if it stocked to fast bad things will start happening fast. What is your ammonia, nitrates, phosphates and nitrites at?

I've been taking my water into the lfs and having it tested every time I go they say it's perfect every time. I just bought the reef master test kit and high range ph, nitrite, ammonia and I'm getting ready to get it out and test everything for myself. I did a water change last week and a couple days before that I was moving things around quite a bit. I changed about 30% of the water. I do have a ro system by not the di. Aquascaping is way harder than I thought.

One word of advice most fish stores will tell you the famous line everythings good ....what kinda fish can we get u today do your own testing

My water pars are:
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.4
Ammonia .50
Nitrite .025
Phosphate .025
Calcium 400
Kh 161.1

Should I do another water change or do you think my tank is recycling?

You need to try to get your ammonia and nitrites down to 0. Your parameters are saying you are overstocked or your tank isn't cycled completely yet. Water changes will help but I don't know how long you have been getting ammonia and nitrites but the longer you have had them the more stress your fish are experiencing. Stress equals disease.

How much water should I change? 25%? Or should I try something else? Add more live rock? Or just give it time? Sorry I'm trying to learn with little time. Work is very demanding right now and don't have much time to research although I do every chance I get.

I would do about 10% daily or even a little more. If you add more live rock you might chance another cycle unless it is live rock that is coming straight from cycled tank to a bucket and then into your tank. There will still be a small amount of die off but probably not enough to start another cycle.

Nice! I'm gonna try that. Thank you so much and I'll keep ya updated on the pars.

Back
Top Bottom