Virgin Saltwater Fanatic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlredding

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys, as you have probably realised from the Subject, I am "the new guy". I have never had the pleasure of running my own saltwater tank. I have been keeping freshwater fish for about 8 years but always wanted to make the progression.

I am being given an already established saltwater tank. It is a Fluval Venezia 190l tank, it has a Fluval external filter and a protein skimmer.

The tank is mostly full of live rock, it has a few corals, a male and female clownfish, a lemon tang and a few other critters which I didn't get to see.

I am really after some advice as to what is the best way to go about setting up the tank after transporting it. I spoke to a local fish shop and they told me that it will be just like starting all over again and I might lose my fish and live rock in the process, which I obviously don't want to happen. Is this accurate advice? Will I have to start all over? As I know the tank has been set up and running well for 5 years, so it is very well matured.

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

If u transport everything properly and quickly u shouldn't have to start all over. Remove all fish and corals put the in plactic bags or containers. Then remove all the rocks and put them in 5 gallon buckets with some tank water in them to keep them wet. Then remove most the water and leave the sand in the bottom of the tank with a little bit of water In it and move the tank to the new home and set it all up if u don't let any of the rocks or sand dry out u should not need to start over

Good luck and welcome to the AA

I am only moving it about 3 miles down the road. I am going to try and save as much of the water as I can. I will keep the live rock in a separate container submerged and as you said the fish in another separate container. I have also been told to not empty anything out of the filter and to transport it full of water.

Your best bet is to use as much new saltwater as you can. With all the rock moving, all the detritus build up will be released into the old water. Best to siphon it off and use clean water when you get home. All of the BB is in the rock and substrate. Highly doubt you'll start a new cycle.

Right okay, that's a good point. When adding fresh saltwater to my tank does it need to be a certain temperature? Or can I just pour it in cold and let my heater do the work? Just worried about this affecting the fish.

I would make sure the temp and all water conditions are right before adding fish.. new water is the way to go as rick stated sorry I forgot to mention that.

carlredding said:
Right okay, that's a good point. When adding fresh saltwater to my tank does it need to be a certain temperature? Or can I just pour it in cold and let my heater do the work? Just worried about this affecting the fish.

When you mix the new sw, you should use a heater and set it to the temp at which you're going to keep your system. I'd do this before the move so that as soon as you get your corals and fish to your home you can start drip acclimating them.

Thanks both of you for your help. I will keep you updated how I get on. Probably looking at doing it late this week. I can't wait to see it set up and running well.

you don't really need to keep the rock submerged. i would rinse it out in the old tank water to get out any detritus then put it in a box or container and cover it with wet newspaper.

This would also be a good time to soak your equipment in a 50/50 vinegar & water combination to clean up the buildup on your pumps and skimmer.

tonedogz said:
you don't really need to keep the rock submerged. i would rinse it out in the old tank water to get out any detritus then put it in a box or container and cover it with wet newspaper.

Having the rock exposed to air for any length of time, even a few hours, could trigger something of a cycle, when put back in. I would keep it submerged, much safer bet.
This is what I did when I moved my 135, 8 miles, into my 180, and didn't see any cycle whatsoever.

AquaRick said:
This would also be a good time to soak your equipment in a 50/50 vinegar & water combination to clean up the buildup on your pumps and skimmer.

Is it okay to use tap water when doing this? I must look like a right dork! I'm just trying to get to grips with what can affect the water and what can't.

Flreefer said:
Having the rock exposed to air for any length of time, even a few hours, could trigger something of a cycle, when put back in. I would keep it submerged, much safer bet.
This is what I did when I moved my 135, 8 miles, into my 180, and didn't see any cycle whatsoever.

Yeh that was my plan. I'd rather be safe than sorry as there is a hell of a lot of live rock in there.

carlredding said:
Is it okay to use tap water when doing this? I must look like a right dork! I'm just trying to get to grips with what can affect the water and what can't.

Tap is ok but since you should be using rodi water for your system, might as well use that.

AquaRick said:
Tap is ok but since you should be using rodi water for your system, might as well use that.

Okay. Sorry Rick, what's RODI water? As you can tell I'm a total beginner!

carlredding said:

RODI- reverse osmosis /de ionized water. Very pure water that goes through several filters. Not the stuff u get outta Walmart.

carlredding said:
It's Reverse osmosis & deionized water. Tap water inherently has many other compounds in it that though not detrimental to fish, will cause algae blooms and can cause damage to corals. If you're keeping a salt water tank, a rodi unit is a must have ime. Unless you can get your tap tested etc and find out it's ok.

And a RODI unit you get installed at home and I guess it turns the tap water into pure water?

carlredding said:
And a RODI unit you get installed at home and I guess it turns the tap water into pure water?

Yep you install yourself, very easy!

Also if for some reason you do use tap, make sure you use dechlorinator to neutralize the chlorine in the tap. An Ro/DI system does this through filtering as well.

Back
Top Bottom