Water Changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayna

Aquarium Advice Regular
now that our levels in the tank are all balanced, and we have 3 fish. how big of weekly water changes should I do?

10%
15%
20% or more?

thanks!!!!!!

before i give any advice just wanna get a little more info.

Did your cycle complete? (ammonia, nitrite are 0)
have you done an initial large water change at the end of the cycle? (20%)

If you've done the above then this is what i have to say: :wink:

as far as "regular maintenance" it's really going to depend on whats in your tank. The only real reason to do a water change is to replace consumed trace elements (consumed by corals/algaes etc) or if your system is running high in Nitrates.

If things are running good, I wouldn't do more than a 10% change every other week or so. again, it really depends on how your system is running.

I have same question on gravel vac. With 2 trigger fish i have to vac because cleaning crew would just be eaten. If you have a reef or non-agressive tank you should be able to get some snails and shrimp to do most of the clean up in the tank. If you do vac don't go to much as you will lose a lot of you beneficial bacteria.

Anemoneman said:
also should i syphon the gravel or just remove water?
If you have gravel you will need to siphon it.

If its sand...dont touch it. Just make sure you have enough circulation to stirr the dead spots.

And he is right on the money as far as the advise about water changes.

hmm okay...

all my levels are perfect...
I have 2 power heads.... but i find they dont keep the flow thru out the tank that well.....

is it okay to go in there with a turkey baster and shoot around behind the live rock and such.

oh and i meant sand/crushed coral bed.... not gravel. :p

and i've been noticing lots of stuff on the sand that the cleaning crew just doesnt pick up.

I change 14 gallons every sunday in my 105, seems to get the job done. My total volume is around 110-120 so I would say I change about 5 -8% a week.

Back
Top Bottom