Water chemistry for reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yes I'm a newbie to the salt world and want to start doing my research on reef requirement before purchasing any corals. What water chemistry is needed before purchasing corals? What are your parameters for your reef tanks?

Currently mine are

NH3------------->0
NO2------------->0
NO3------------->0
Ca -------------->420
Ph--------------->8.1

My tank is currently a FOWLR and just don't know when to add corals. What other additives do I need to purchase and what brands do you use?

Yes I'm a newbie to the salt world and want to start doing my research on reef requirement before purchasing any corals. What water chemistry is needed before purchasing corals? What are your parameters for your reef tanks?

Currently mine are

NH3------------->0
NO2------------->0
NO3------------->0
Ca -------------->420
Ph--------------->8.1

My tank is currently a FOWLR and just don't know when to add corals. What other additives do I need to purchase and what brands do you use?

Parameters are not as important as stability. As long as you are within guidelines you shouldnt have problems.

As for additives you will often find that the best tanks dont use any or very few. Most good commercial salt brands contain all thats need for a thriving reef. Calcium, alk, and magnesium are the 3 major elements needed for coral growth. Usually keeping these parameters stable is only a challenge in tanks heavily loaded with hard corals. In those cases, calcium, alk, and mag supplements may be needed to maintain levels.

Hope this helps. Your probably more than ready for a few starter corals.

That has helped a ton! Any suggestions on what to start with? I want an anemone eventually and I have heard they seem to travel to find the perfect spot for their needs. I just don't want it to burn up all the corals I have trying to find a good spot. Should I wait til my tank is perfect get the anemone first then Add corals after it has a great spot?

Softies and lps will use more alk, but don't dose unless you test for it. Corals use alk and cal like stated above when they grow so as you add more and see them growing then test for alk and cal. Anemone need stable water and high lighting. Go for it add some corals.

That has helped a ton! Any suggestions on what to start with? I want an anemone eventually and I have heard they seem to travel to find the perfect spot for their needs. I just don't want it to burn up all the corals I have trying to find a good spot. Should I wait til my tank is perfect get the anemone first then Add corals after it has a great spot?

Start with a few softies or LPS. I would wait until you get the hang of caring for corals fr a few months before you try your hand at a nem.

Agree with Schism (great name) about then Nem. Hold of for a couple of months.

If you're worried about the nem travelling then research your nems as some of them move more than others. Some move up the glass and some across the rock. You shouldn't move the nem if its approaching a coral you should move the coral

Thanks a lot guys for all them help. Ill prob do my research for the next month and get a game plan going on what to start out with. Ill be holding off on the nem for a while! Thanks again!

Beautiful tanks by the way guys! I only hope mine looks as good!

Back
Top Bottom