weather!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok its 36 c here at the mo,the temp is getting higher on my tank,i ve turned the light off,is there anything else i should do?

i have propped the top open slightly but i havened got a plastic cover,so i didnt want to opened it to wide and the fish jump out!

make sure you have adequate surface agitation. As with the heat sink on a computer, the more surface area you have, the more heat is able to dissipate.

Combine this with a fan and you should be ok.

i have the filter on the water line so it moves the water and the cap open so it makes bubbles,i have to pop to the pet shop later so i will see if i can get a cover!

If worst comes to worst and these ideas don't work you can freeze some water in a couple of freezer bags, float one in the tank, keep the other frozen and switch them as necessary. My 10 gal is very succeptible to the heat but keeping the lights off more and fanning the water helps a lot.

A real big fan over an open tank. I have seen tanks with fiberglass screen tops over them when the temperature gets too high. Should be easy to tape a piece on top until the weather and temperatures drop. Or maybe make a frame out of it for the mesh.

i should invest in one of these as i just had my african dwarf frog die yesterday. i think it was from the temperature increase and i forgot to open the windows. i was gone all day and didn't leave the a/c running. the tank shot nearly into the 90s. luckily my other fish are ok, but she was one of my favorites. it sucked even more as the day before i had done a pwc and she was very active and happy.

curse the sun god! time to buy some chillers.

It has been 100+ where i live for nearly 6 days, this weekend wont be any cooler. What i tend to do is leave my AC on around 85 so that the ambient temperature in the room doesnt get too hot. I havent seen my tank venture over 82 using this method, although it does cost you more in electricity, but my Fish's health is worth it to me :D

Back
Top Bottom