Weird question about setting up your tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScurdOfCychlidz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just finished reading: "The New Marine Aquarium Step by step setup and stocking guide" by Michael s. Paletta and he suggests that when you set up a tank you do the salt water thang and then the live rock...THATS IT..just only those and of course your equipment and let the tank cycle, then once its cycled you add your substrate.

well wouldn't this be a b*tch to do if you were adding sand? or even crushed coral?

Anyone gone this route?

I think i would lay down the substrate, lay down the rock then fill the rest of the tank up.

I think i would lay down the substrate, lay down the rock then fill the rest of the tank up.

While most I believe do it the way you describe, it is better to add the sand last, and a very good idea to do it after you have cycled the tank and cured the LR, many of the issues with deep sand beds have come from way to many nutrients too fast.

also the reason putting rock in first, and then sand, is because the rock is supported by the glass...so any sand shifting or burrowing will not cause the rock to become unstable and topple over.

hmm, wouldn't it be a gigantic mess to pour the sand in the tank once it is completely full? would you just use some tupperware maybe and open it up at the bottom?

thx 4 your responses guys. 0X

You're never gonna avoid a sandstorm whichever way you do it.. It's not really a big deal though, it will eventually settle out within a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom