What to do without power?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmg108

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are about to get hit with a snow storm, worried about my power going out....what do I do with my tank? I know the water will over flow some because my pump wont work but what about trying to keep the temp. right? Im really worried. We have a small generator but I dont know if its enough to keep everything running, especially since they say power outages might be up to a week. What do I do?

try to hook the most important components up to the generator if possible. heater and flow are the main things. lights would be nice for maybe a few hours a day for any corals. if you cant hook it up to the generator then do a bunch of pwcs and wrap/cover the tank in towels to insulate it. and there are some battery powered airpumps you could use for a tiny bit of flow.
Good Luck!

LMG I feel for you.
get the watt rating of your gen,lets say it is 2000 watts. Then add all the loads of your needed equipment, heaters are 100 to 300 watts lights are the sum of the lamps and their wattage ie 4x54 watts.as long as your total needed wattage is 80 percent or less of the generator output you will be fine.
Just get lots of fuel
PS the house furnace needs only about 60 watts so consider getting a electrician to wire it into the gen
Good luck

Thanks, I will just have to try my best to keep things going I guess. Their should be a battery back up system standard in aquariums, yeah that would be a nice invention. Would have to prolly be a big battery though huh. So far so good, still had power when I went to work but we are supposed to get an ice storm this afternoon and more snow tonight (totalling 10 in by tomorrow at noon) so Im not in the clear yet. The blanket idea is good, I will just have to do the best I can...cross your fingers for me.

I made it through hurricane Ike with no power for 6 days. Here's some tips..Definitely place blankets (I used three per tank) around the entire tank. Do not feed! they can a week or so w/o food w/ no problems.Feeding will only increase ammonia. If at all possible...do a pwc before the power goes out...if your media is new, it will lessen the effects of dead bacteria entering the system when power returns (if no power to the filter). Also, if you don't have the filter hooked up to the gen., float your biological media in the tank so it doesn't dry out. Understand, you have your furnace, refigerator, tv (for weather updates) all to hook up, so you may not be able to handle a bunch of aquarium hook ups. Your heater is most important as weel as water flow and/or movement. I used a few back up battery bubblers in my SW reef tanks. They worked like a charm, the aeration provided enough O2 to keep all my livestock alive. It would be best if you can hook the filtration up to the gen, but if not...defitely get the battery bubblers ( and at least 10 batteries per back up pump (2 D cells required per pump). The cool thing is, they're automatic. When the power dies, they come on automatically. If you don't do a pwc and media change before the power goes out...do it before it comes back on! This will save the anaerobic bacteria from flooding the tank!
Hope this helps! I lost not one fish, or invert!

That is very helpful information!! I will have to stop and get some of them battery bubblers. Where do I find them? Any pet store? Fortunatly I only have 1 125g tank to worry about. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom