10 Gal established tank. Advice on adding fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DMalone780

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a ten gallon tank that has been setup for over several years. I have let most of the fish die off gradually without replacing and now I would like to restock.

I have a sole Black Skirt keeping the tank going right now. This fish has been the sole inhabitant for nearly three months now.

A PH test showed 6.0 (bottom of my test kit scale) reading
and ammonia test showed 0.0 or just a trace amount that could not be visually read.

I don't have a nitrate test kit so I don't know what that level is.

Should it be okay to start adding fish back into the tank?
Do you have any recommendations on how I should handle the restock?

Thanks for your help.

I think we may need to know a bit more about what you plan to put into your tank before anyone can offer any suggestions. :D

Also I would say that you should get a nitrite and nitrate test just to be sure these readings are acceptable before adding fish. You will also be able to monitor what is happening when you try to restock.

How often do you gravel vac? Water change? Any info you can give would be helpful.

And welcome to AA!!!

I don't clean the gravel as much as I should.

Generally water is changed everyother week but I have to adjust that with more fish into the tank. I expect to do a once a week change of 20% to 25%.

The tank is sitting in a corner away from direct light.

I was thinking about Gouramis but have just about decided instead to go with small tetras. Would like a betta but not at the expense of a community tank.

Welcome to AA, DMalone780!!! :smilecolros:

I would pick up nitrite and nitrate test kits...and while you're at it, get a hardness kit too. A pH of 6.0 seems a bit low, which could be caused by organic muck decomposing in the gravel bed.
DMalone780 said:
I don't clean the gravel as much as I should.
Buy a Python - that will take much of the chore out of gravel vacs, and water changes in general.

You should also know the hardness (buffering capacity) of your water. I think it's important to know a bit more about your water chemistry before restocking.

When you do restock, take it slow, so you don't overwhelm your biofilter. By that, I mean add four or five fish and wait a few weeks before adding more. I think you should be able to get two schools (6 fish each) of tetras - perhaps a few more if you stock with very small fish like neons, cardinals, and rasboras.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to get the kits today.

What would be the best Tetras to stock first; the hardiest and most likely to handle the inital stock of say three fish to the tank. This will be after cleaning and testing of course. I love the neons and what I call the black skirt tetras.

Our water quality is not the best here and the water needs to setup before use. Is it best to keep the water partially covered or should it remain completely open to the atmosphere?

I generally keep it covered during setup to keep airborne particles out.

Our water quality is not the best here and the water needs to setup before use.

Are you saying that you let the water sit to remove chlorine? Do you use water conditioner when you add water to the tank?

I have heard that neons are more delicate than some other fish. You might want to wait to stock them until you are sure you have your params under control.

I use a water treatment whenever water is needed. I generally add this after the water sits, usually more than 24 to 48 hours.

We live in a small community where they send out a sheet with the trace elements that are in the water, and it is a long sheet. I filter my water that I drink because of the taste. It is not bitter, just not as clean as I prefer.

Is there a type of bottled (jug) water that could be used. I have heard that distilled water could not be used. Spring water should be okay I think. Are there any other types that should work without excessive trace elements?

Unless you're keeping very sensitive fish (rams or discus), or you're trying to breed , your tap water should be fine. It's no longer necessary to let it sit out overnight - just add the correct dose of dechlorinator as you fill the tank, and you're set to go. Personally, I like Tetra AquaSafe because it also neutralizes chloramines and heavy metals.

Black skirt tetras are much more hardy than neons, so I would start stocking with them first. Nice stocking choice, btw - the two species should contrast and complement each other nicely.

Thanks for the advice and choice confirmation.

I have had good luck with the Black Skirts. Not so much with neons. They live okay but don't do as well as Black skirts or Blood Fins have.

My nitrates were high but by Nitrites were pretty low on the scale.
Water hardness was off the scale.

PH and Alkaline levels were low.

Did a vacuum / clean and 45% water change. will recheck and edit after water settles down.

thanks again for the help.

We need to know the number of the results. Just saying "high" and "pretty low" does not help much. If there are nitrites, the tank is not fully cycled.
Put some of your tap water in a container and leave it for about 24 hours and then do all the tests and let us know the results.

I had to use a jungle 5 in 1 Quick Dip strip test kit (all I have available locally).

Nitrate - 200ppm (max on chart)
Nitrite - .5ppm (marked as Caution on the chart)
Hardness - 300ppm (max on chart)
Alkalinity - 0 ppm
PH - 6.2 on Chart (other test kit shows 6.0) lowest reading on either charts

Back
Top Bottom