10g build need help new to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john_snow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just recieved a 10g tank:) no lights filter heater or anything:( ive never had an aquarium before so i am completely new to all of this. i want to setup a planted aquarium similar to this one. my questions are what types of filter,substrate and lighting should i use? do i need a co2 injection system? what types of fertilizer should i use?can i use any driftwood i find out on the lake or is there a specific type? thank you for taking the time to read my thread and hopefully i'll hear back from you soon :cool:also is it possible to add some type of moss to these 2 decorations? the first one is plastic and the second is some type of rock not sure what kind lol and how would i attach it?
oh i also forgot to mention that the person i got the tank from saw a spider in the tank and freaked out and sprayed it with lysol so i need to give the tank and decorations a good cleaning first and foremost i was thinking of doing a baking soda and vinegar scrub with a toothbrush (brand new of course:brows:) followed by a bleach/water solution followed by another baking soda and vinegar scrub with a rinse after will this be ok/good enough to remove the lysol spray and any other baddies in there?

Attachments

• frontviewcopyyr1.jpg
    frontviewcopyyr1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 72
  • P160312_13.33.jpg
    P160312_13.33.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 67
  • P160312_13.33_[01].jpg
    P160312_13.33_[01].jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 66
john_snow said:
i just recieved a 10g tank:) no lights filter heater or anything:( ive never had an aquarium before so i am completely new to all of this. i want to setup a planted aquarium similar to this one. my questions are what types of filter,substrate and lighting should i use? do i need a co2 injection system? what types of fertilizer should i use?can i use any driftwood i find out on the lake or is there a specific type? thank you for taking the time to read my thread and hopefully i'll hear back from you soon :cool:also is it possible to add some type of moss to these 2 decorations? the first one is plastic and the second is some type of rock not sure what kind lol and how would i attach it?
oh i also forgot to mention that the person i got the tank from saw a spider in the tank and freaked out and sprayed it with lysol so i need to give the tank and decorations a good cleaning first and foremost i was thinking of doing a baking soda and vinegar scrub with a toothbrush (brand new of course:brows:) followed by a bleach/water solution followed by another baking soda and vinegar scrub with a rinse after will this be ok/good enough to remove the lysol spray and any other baddies in there?

Welcome!!!

Here are some answers:
I'd do an aqua clear 20 on that for a filter. I have the 70 for my 55g and it does wonderfully!

For substrate and lighting it all depends on the plants that you like as well as the CO2. I'd recommend to use something like Eco-complete or flourite for the substrate (they're plant substances). Look up some plants and read about them, the planted tank has a really good plant database!

I'd use flourish excel. It's a great fertalizer for the plants. There are more but I'm not all that sure about them.

Yes you can collect wood. Just make sure it's hard wood and it isn't pine wood. I repeat no pine wood! It can kill the fish.

I have that first on. It might be semi hard to add plants but if you spent time on it I bet that it would! The second one yes for sure!!! When I apply plants like moss to my rocks or wood I use thread. Just tie it on the decoration and voila it's attached!

I'd definitely do the routine that your planning. I'd soak it as well for at least another week with just regular water just to be safe!

Good job asking before buying! It's good to see you doing that! Good luck:D

If you want a low maintenance easy low light tank like mine, you can get a cheap incandescent hood and swap to Compact Fluorescent bulbs.
Combined wattage of 20-30 watts around 6500K.

I use sand and add root tabs. I don't use CO2. I use a basic liquid Fert like Seachem Flourish ( not Excel).

If you want High Light you'll need a source of CO2.

Pics of my tanks are on my profile page, click on my avatar.

I don't heat my tanks. Yes you can tie mosses to wood , rocks or decor. If that is a coral skeleton and not fake DO NOT use it. If its fake, be careful of pointy sharp decor in small tanks. Depending on inhabitants it may not be safe. I'm not a fan of Saltwater decor in freshwater tanks. I also hate Clown Puke gravel. But it's just a choice.

As far as collecting your own wood, Google sterilizing Driftwood for aquariums. You can't just throw wood in, might get nasty critters or diseases.

GL

Welcome!!!

Here are some answers:
I'd do an aqua clear 20 on that for a filter. I have the 70 for my 55g and it does wonderfully!

For substrate and lighting it all depends on the plants that you like as well as the CO2. I'd recommend to use something like Eco-complete or flourite for the substrate (they're plant substances). Look up some plants and read about them, the planted tank has a really good plant database!

I'd use flourish excel. It's a great fertalizer for the plants. There are more but I'm not all that sure about them.

Yes you can collect wood. Just make sure it's hard wood and it isn't pine wood. I repeat no pine wood! It can kill the fish.

I have that first on. It might be semi hard to add plants but if you spent time on it I bet that it would! The second one yes for sure!!! When I apply plants like moss to my rocks or wood I use thread. Just tie it on the decoration and voila it's attached!

I'd definitely do the routine that your planning. I'd soak it as well for at least another week with just regular water just to be safe!

Good job asking before buying! It's good to see you doing that! Good luck:D
thank you for all the input :) the aqua clear 20 is that a cannister filter? im sort of leaning towards one of them i was told they are easier maintenance wise and can i use pine if im planning on no fish in the tank just plants?

If you want a low maintenance easy low light tank like mine, you can get a cheap incandescent hood and swap to Compact Fluorescent bulbs.
Combined wattage of 20-30 watts around 6500K.

I use sand and add root tabs. I don't use CO2. I use a basic liquid Fert like Seachem Flourish ( not Excel).

If you want High Light you'll need a source of CO2.

Pics of my tanks are on my profile page, click on my avatar.

i was leaning more towards the high light high maintenace route and your tanks look amazing!!!

I don't heat my tanks. Yes you can tie mosses to wood , rocks or decor. If that is a coral skeleton and not fake DO NOT use it. If its fake, be careful of pointy sharp decor in small tanks. Depending on inhabitants it may not be safe. I'm not a fan of Saltwater decor in freshwater tanks. I also hate Clown Puke gravel. But it's just a choice.

As far as collecting your own wood, Google sterilizing Driftwood for aquariums. You can't just throw wood in, might get nasty critters or diseases.

GL

don't all fish need heated water? i didnt think i was going to need a heater because im not putting in fish and thanks for the advice

john_snow said:
don't all fish need heated water? i didnt think i was going to need a heater because im not putting in fish and thanks for the advice

My tanks are in my room. They stay 70-72f without a heater. I haven't heated my tanks in years. If I had something that really needed heat I would. But my Shrimp prefer cool water and so far my fish are fine. Considering some of my fish are over 5 years old, it works for me.

I would not use Pine even in a plant only tank. Might release nasty stuff.

Back
Top Bottom