14 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65 litre (approx 14 gallon) tank and currently have 5 platy's and 4 peppered corys.. I would like to add another 5 or 6 platy's and 6 to 8 neon tetras.. what do you think?

According to AquaAdvisor, you're already overstocked.

Here's a really helpful link - I don't know what filter you've got, so I left the Aquaclear20 listed when I cleared out my own details.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Warning: Platy is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2 inches.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Warning: Peppered Cory is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2.7 inches.

Recommended water change schedule: 33% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 168%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

What are the dimensions of the tank? You might be ok but at or near capacity, depending on the dimensions. Platys are high bioload fish and need a good sized tank for a large group. Most people say neons need at least a 20 gal since they are active fish but they might be ok in your tank. At most I'd add 6 neons until you get a larger tank, but this would depend on the size of the tank (e.g. if it's the dimensions that Tomatt put in, I wouldn't add anything else. If it's larger, say 24" across, you could do the neons). 65 liters is actually about 17 US gallons so you might be ok with the neons unless it's an oddly shaped tank like a hex or column.

Last edited:
... (e.g. if it's the dimensions that Tomatt put in, I wouldn't add anything else. If it's larger, say 24" across, you could do the neons). 65 liters is actually about 17 US gallons so you might be ok with the neons unless it's an oddly shaped tank like a hex or column.

Those dimensions auto-populated when I chose the first of the 2 14g options in the dropdown. The other choice didn't change the warnings.

What are the dimensions of the tank? You might be ok but at or near capacity, depending on the dimensions. Platys are high bioload fish and need a good sized tank for a large group. Most people say neons need at least a 20 gal since they are active fish but they might be ok in your tank. At most I'd add 6 neons until you get a larger tank, but this would depend on the size of the tank (e.g. if it's the dimensions that Tomatt put in, I wouldn't add anything else. If it's larger, say 24" across, you could do the neons). 65 liters isaua actually about 17 US gallons so you might be ok with the neons unless it's an oddly shaped tank like a hex or column.

It's an aquastart 500 if you could Google that.. I tried that stocking website but it was a bit confusing and didn't have my tank.. and sorry I was working in UK gallons :/

So it's about 19.6" x 13" x 19.6". I'd say you're at capacity now. You could do 6 neons, you'd be a bit overstocked though and when/if the platys breed they're going to take over the tank. I definitely wouldn't add more platys. If you returned some of the platys you'd have more room for something else.

So it's about 19.6" x 13" x 19.6". I'd say you're at capacity now. You could do 6 neons, you'd be a bit overstocked though and when/if the platys breed they're going to take over the tank. I definitely wouldn't add more platys. If you returned some of the platys you'd have more room for something else.

Hmm.. things to think about, thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom